Neogrub + pc_efi = no joy?

davidovi

3 posts in this topic

I wanted to have multiboot capability on my system, as I have to enter to bios each time I want to swap systems.

I heard from some user that using neogrub with EasyBCE from vista, it was posible to use the pc_efi exactly the same as grub for linux.

I tried, but neogrub cannot mount the partition, no mather what I put on menu.lst

This is my config:

(hd0,0) -> Leopard 10.5.1 (with efi_pc already installed on boot using startupfiletool)

(hd1,0) -> Vista

(hd1,1) -> XP

(hd1,2) -> Tiger

(hd1,3) -> Blank Partition for storage (ntfs)

(hd1,5) -> Hfs+ for time machine

I tried this on menu.lst and directly in the console;

Title Leopard

kernel (hd0,0)/boot/boot_v5

Result = cannot mount partition (19)

Title Tiger

kernel (hd1,2)/boot/boot_v5

Result = cannot mount partition (19)

Tried with root (hdx,x) and got the same error

Needless to say that I have the boot_v5 on the root of both drives

Any indeas??

Thanks

I am using the Neogrub of EasyBCD in vista with success.

You might be implementing it wrong.

I use the Vista bootloader and Vista is installed on my C drive.

What I had to do:

In Vista, I have to activate the option to view hidden files, then I go into c:/boot which is a hidden folder and that's where i dropped the boot_v5 file.

In the EasyBCD configuration file, the path to that boot_v5 is: kernel (hd0,0)/boot/boot_v5 which is like saying c:/boot/boot_v5. That is the path to the efi bootloader boot_v5 and that part never changes regardless of the other volumes you are trying the boot.

Actually, in my case, my very first partition on the C drive is hidden and my manufacturer has put some files on it, so I have to use kernel (hd0,1)/boot/boot_v5 to get to the c:/boot/boot_v5 file

If your Neogrub bootloader is set up correctly, then you will have the option to select 80 your drive 1, 81 for drive 2 etc....

I am using the Neogrub of EasyBCD in vista with success.

You might be implementing it wrong.

I use the Vista bootloader and Vista is installed on my C drive.

What I had to do:

In Vista, I have to activate the option to view hidden files, then I go into c:/boot which is a hidden folder and that's where i dropped the boot_v5 file.

In the EasyBCD configuration file, the path to that boot_v5 is: kernel (hd0,0)/boot/boot_v5 which is like saying c:/boot/boot_v5. That is the path to the efi bootloader boot_v5 and that part never changes regardless of the other volumes you are trying the boot.

Actually, in my case, my very first partition on the C drive is hidden and my manufacturer has put some files on it, so I have to use kernel (hd0,1)/boot/boot_v5 to get to the c:/boot/boot_v5 file

If your Neogrub bootloader is set up correctly, then you will have the option to select 80 your drive 1, 81 for drive 2 etc....

Thanks for you answer!

One of my problem was that Neogrub doesnt recognize hpfs+ partitions, as stated by netkas on hackint0sh forum.

So I copyed boot_v5 onto my XP partition on C:\boot\ and point to it on menu.lst of neogrub.

Now I can boot to my Leo HD without problems (its HD 0x81), but I cannot get my Tiger install to boot (its on HD 0x80)

Everytime I try to boot the first 0x80, Im bounced to the vista OS selector.

I have my tiger on the same disk of Vista and XP, in a primary partition.

What Im doing wrong?