Editing Brazilmac Patch / Changing kexts before patching

punkrockml13

5 posts in this topic

I noticed in the script of the Brazilmac patch used to patch the original 9a581 retail dvd that the patch cuts out original kexts and then later replaces them with the folder of kexts in the leopatch/exts/ folder. I'm having severe trouble (and frustration, for that matter) with the appleVIAATA.kext with some kind of I/O error, and I thought I would just put in my correct device ID (I'm running a gigabyte p965-ds3 rev. 2.0 with the jmicron IDE controller). Also, instead of troubling myself with the after-replacing of the vanilla applesmbios.kext and dsmos.kext, i thought i would just put back the originals with that as well since I plan on using EFI.

Can I do this to resolve my issues or will it break the patching process? I guess this is a dumb question since I'm going to try it anyways, but I was just wondering if it could really be that easy to put my own kexts into the Install DVD?

My hardware:

E6300

Gigabyte P965-DS3 Rev. 2.0

3GB Ram

8800 GTS 640mb BFG GFX Card

Trying to use a SATA HDD for the install, while booting the install image with my IDE DVD Drive, the IDE DVD Drive hooked up via USB, and a bootable partition with the install image restored to it

Thanks in advance for any replies, suggestions, flames, whatnot...

Edit: I guess the real question is wether or not changing these kexts would affect the boot process of the dvd, or just what is copied onto the hard drive during the installation process. Hmm... Any thoughts?

no, it does not break the patch, since it is only replacing the boot DVD extensions not the instalation ones, but you need to place the same extensions in the post-patch extensions folder.

I spent last weekend essentially trying to do the same thing. I think we have similar hardware (965 chipset, maybe same SATA controller).

Basically I modified AppleAHCIPlatform.kext to get my drives to be recognized during install. I tried to apply the same patch to the install. I could never get it to boot - and I tried all the tricks I could find around here.

You may want to see a thread I just started:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=74215

Well, it did work. I was able to boot the dvd (finally), install efi v7.3, verified that it was set up correctly, booted the dvd again and installed leopard, rebooted the dvd to access terminal again to delete AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext because I was receiving the "Package 0 didn't get an HPET", but now my installation is screwing up the booting process somehow else.I didn't use the post patch because I want a vanilla kernel and install.I think I'm going to try to add in the original AppleSMBIOS.kext and dsmos.kext and my modified jmicronata.kext and see if it works or if it breaks my install again.Any other ideas?oh, timeshifter, what's your specs? what hard drives / dvd drives are you using, what controllers are on your board, etc.?

Sigh... All of my turmoil in trying to boot the installation after finally being able to boot the dvd... was from me accidentally permission-ing the vanilla kexts with 775 instead of 755.

Wow...

Anyways, now that I've booted, I can sit here and watch my keyboard not be identified by leopard.

Keep me updated on your situation Timeshifter