How I got my Dell E520 working with 10.5.1

hotmonkeayc

1 post in this topic

Here's how I got my Dell E520 working with 10.5.1 (the best I can remember).

=====Installing Tiger 10.4.10=====

First Tiger was installed. I couldn't get Leopard to work with a clean install so I installed Tiger first. The version I used was 10.4.10 (macdotnub). Just select all of the defaults and click "Install". After it's finished, reboot with the Leopard disc in. DON'T EVEN BOTHER BOOTING INTO TIGER.

=====Install Leopard=====

Basically, just install Leopard right on top of Tiger. Don't do a clean install. After the install is complete you should reboot into Leopard. See, that wasn't hard!

=====Getting Networking and Audio working=====

For networking, I originally used a Wireless WG311T Adapter, I eventually got it working (kexts available upon request), but decided it was better to use a Linksys 4.1 card. You can find the kexts for it here.

For the audio, I used the AppleHDA Patcher v1.16 (NOT 1.17) and applied the STAC9227_83847618.txt (search for it). Some have had issues with it not working, but it worked for me.

=====10.5.1 Update=====

I downloaded the 10.5.1 Update from Apple Here.

I used Pacifist to extract MacOSXUpd10.5.1.pkg. I then used Pacifist to open MacOSXUpd10.5.1.pkg.

I selected everything EXCEPT mach_kernel and chose "Install to Default Location", choosing "Upgrade" when prompted.

I then downloaded this file and followed the instructions CAREFULLY to patch my mach_kernel.

I rebooted, and everything worked!

I hope this helps someone out there. If you have questions, let me know, I'll TRY to help as best I can.