to EFI, or not to EFI? That is the question.

more or less

16 posts in this topic

Okay, I've had two or three successful installs already... :(

First I had a GUID drive with the ToH, but then the 10.5.1 update borked it and I did not know how to fix it. I then made the drive MBR to follow another multi-boot guide I had seen @ DigitMemo. My current set up is XP MCE / Leopard 10.5.1 with BrzilMac patched kernels and I am booting via Darwin, and now finally mostly understand terminal commands.

[PLEASE NOTE, I AM NOT INTERESTED IS DOING A TIGER INSTALL FIRST]

I am more comfortable working from my XP boot-up cd and drive and I would like to use those IF i go the EFI root.

My PC is a Dell Dimension 3000 running a 3.0 P4 w/ SS3, intel 865 chipset with that crappy video that at least works. I have since added a GeForce 5200 for my widescreen monitor.

So, I guess I could go back to a GUID set-up from XP, although I am not too interested in that. I have a MBR set-up now and I'd like to tweak that if at all possible to work with any EFI patching.

SO HERE'S THE WRINKLE..., will EFI allow me to sleep/wake properly? I am not so much interested in the GUID boost as much as being able to sleep. Though I do like being able to choose the OS from the XP boot as I did the first time I had ToH working.

I know sleep is not a guarantee, but it seems the the key to get sleep mode working is the EFI, and the GUID will seem to stop that SUID error which is what I think is causing the MBR method to have its shortfalls.

So, I guess if someone has a story, facts or links to EFI patching from XP... AND whether that DID or DID NOT enable sleep mode? Alternately, can the mach_sleep kernel [which is what EFI/sleep is all about I guess] be used in a BrazilMac patched ToH install in MBR format? It would seen that mach_sleep, if I am understanding, is key to making sleep mode work.... so what does one need to get that flavor of mach working? Or will the vanilla mach do it?

What I am worried about is that to get a working sleep mode will require EFI and GUID format? This means a full re-install... boo-hoo for me!

So, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE share your "how I got sleep to work" details. Thx to all and those whose tools I have been using! This has been a lot of pleasantly annoying fun.

Both my computers have functional sleep with EFI V5.0 and V4.0. I haven't tried the higher versions because I didn't need the addtional features they offered.

Is your drive MBR or GUID, did you use ToH, which flavor of the mach did you use [ie is "stock 9.1" the 'Vanilla' one]? Thanks!

Just to let you know that AFAIK you won't be able to use your XP disc to install the EFI patch, at least not using the common methods involving startupfiletool and such. You'll need to boot from a Tiger/Leopard install DVD.

Just to let you know that AFAIK you won't be able to use your XP disc to install the EFI patch, at least not using the common methods involving startupfiletool and such. You'll need to boot from a Tiger/Leopard install DVD.

Yeah, that's what i pretty much figured. What I really mean is that I need to format the drive for GUID from XP, as that's the only way I know as of now. I just am not clear as to how GUID relates to the EFI/sleep issue, as I'd like to tweak my current MBR set up.

And do it right, for once... :P LOL

He can install it after he installs Leopard. He just has to go in to single user mode or put the files on a flash drive and use terminal from the install dvd

THANK YOU. That was the impression I am getting, and why the above poster is probably still running the older EFI set ups.

I have the 5.1 version, iirc.

Your welcome. I did try first hand on installing windows on my laptop it booted only once rebooted and i got blinking _ so i popped in parted magic and there was a bunch of different partitions, well about 4. set by GUID and EFI, so i didnt know which one to set with a boot flag re wrote my boot loader in tiger and booted up great again, but it didnt show my vista partition... So i just deleted it and extended my leopard partition back to the way it was. Thats one of the great things about having a GUID partition scheme

Your welcome. I did try first hand on installing windows on my laptop it booted only once rebooted and i got blinking _ so i popped in parted magic and there was a bunch of different partitions, well about 4. set by GUID and EFI, so i didnt know which one to set with a boot flag re wrote my boot loader in tiger and booted up great again, but it didnt show my vista partition... So i just deleted it and extended my leopard partition back to the way it was. Thats one of the great things about having a GUID partition scheme

Okay, that figures. It will also make XP happier as well I would think. I just read your rig set up, so I have to ask....

do you think using the older EFI patch and a specific mach, ie ToH vanilla or mach_sleep, will enable your missing power modes? Or is sleep working for you?

Because really, I think sleep mode is more important than how I boot up. I have no clue about this GRUB tool that keeps popping up, is that necessary?

Okay, that figures. It will also make XP happier as well I would think. I just read your rig set up, so I have to ask....

do you think using the older EFI patch and a specific mach, ie ToH vanilla or mach_sleep, will enable your missing power modes? Or is sleep working for you?

Because really, I think sleep mode is more important than how I boot up. I have no clue about this GRUB tool that keeps popping up, is that necessary?

Keep with your v 5.1 EFI you dont need grub with it.

I dont have working sleep on my lappy but i really dont care for it all that much.

Im not very familiar with GRUB seems to difficult to me..

I am actually now wondering if I could just use Time Machine to restore my Leopard drive if have to reformat it back to GUID... when running the EFI from the ToH disc... I cannot imagine that the back-up is specific to the drive format... its just that I REALLY I don't want to re-install XP for the umpteenth time!

The fact that you, i_am_me, do not have power saving modes is not giving me much interest in patching the EFI, however.

LEOPARD MUST SLEEP! :lol:

I am actually now wondering if I could just use Time Machine to restore my Leopard drive if have to reformat it back to GUID... when running the EFI from the ToH disc... I cannot imagine that the back-up is specific to the drive format... its just that I REALLY I don't want to re-install XP for the umpteenth time!

The fact that you, i_am_me, do not have power saving modes is not giving me much interest in patching the EFI, however.

LEOPARD MUST SLEEP! :lol:

time machine shouldnt be scheme specific it just restores files.

And why would you need to re write to a GUID?

Others have gotten it to work i really never found any interest in it. some times it works, on a rare occasion i can click sleep and it will go to sleep. then a few min. later i can hit power and it will come right back on, only on rare occasions though.

time machine shouldnt be scheme specific it just restores files.

And why would you need to re write to a GUID?

Others have gotten it to work i really never found any interest in it. some times it works, on a rare occasion i can click sleep and it will go to sleep. then a few min. later i can hit power and it will come right back on, only on rare occasions though.

Oh, I don't "have" to go back to GUID. It's just I am highly suspicious that a GUID setup is much more likely to enable sleep mode, as GUID is more intel Mac native than MBR. ie, those may be causing various kext conflicts, but it still may all come down to hardware controller chipsets in the end.

I am very likely to try EFI 5.1 via startupfiletool and the ToH, aka mach_sleep kernel, it's just I need some encouragement before I go and {censored} my install again.

Is your drive MBR or GUID, did you use ToH, which flavor of the mach did you use [ie is "stock 9.1" the 'Vanilla' one]? Thanks!

Both my systems run the MBR bootloader and the stock 9.1 kernel. They will both run fine with the ToH kernel as well, but I've found that speed-step is unstable on my systems so there is no reason to use a modified kernel. Both sleep to S3 with no problem and wake with no errors. The caveat is that shutting down the system can be problematic. My desktop will not shut down at all, and OS X does not recognize that the power button has been pressed (ie: no dialog pops up asking me if I want to restart, shut down, sleep, etc) OS X appears to shut down and power to the drives is cut off, but the power supply and system fans remain on. Once OS X has completed its shutdown routines I can power it off by holding down the power button for 4 seconds, triggering the 'hard-off.' My notebook will shut down, but will not restart, necessitating that I power the system back up again manually. These are fairly small niggles, but it's worth pointing them out.

I installed via BrazilMac DVD then EFI 5.2, PC sleeps perfectly (without using the ToH mach_sleep kernel). In fact, I came back up to the study after an hour or so and thought it had crashed. Hit the power button and it popped back online pretty much instantly. Marvellous!

Both my systems run the MBR bootloader and the stock 9.1 kernel. They will both run fine with the ToH kernel as well, but I've found that speed-step is unstable on my systems so there is no reason to use a modified kernel. Both sleep to S3 with no problem and wake with no errors. The caveat is that shutting down the system can be problematic. My desktop will not shut down at all, and OS X does not recognize that the power button has been pressed (ie: no dialog pops up asking me if I want to restart, shut down, sleep, etc) OS X appears to shut down and power to the drives is cut off, but the power supply and system fans remain on. Once OS X has completed its shutdown routines I can power it off by holding down the power button for 4 seconds, triggering the 'hard-off.' My notebook will shut down, but will not restart, necessitating that I power the system back up again manually. These are fairly small niggles, but it's worth pointing them out.
Ahh, thanks for the info. I have had the same problem from time to time. I was worried also that my Dell will sleep, but the fans will stay on [as it does now, but will not wake]. The 'low power" sleep from BIOS turns the fans off which is essential the MCE usability.
I installed via BrazilMac DVD then EFI 5.2, PC sleeps perfectly (without using the ToH mach_sleep kernel). In fact, I came back up to the study after an hour or so and thought it had crashed. Hit the power button and it popped back online pretty much instantly. Marvellous!
That's very interesting and very encouraging. Thanks for the feedback.Do you know if it was the EFI flashing that added this feature, or did you just get lucky with your hardware / install config?