10.5 +AMD +DELL 1501 Problem

zanman

4 posts in this topic

I am using a self patched 10.5 AMD install DVD I made using the following guide.

http://www.xcore.com.br/forum/archive/index.php/t-999.html

The computer I am installing on is a Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop (AMD Turion 64 x2, 2Gig Ram, 120 SATA HD)

#The problem is I get to the disk utility program but no hard drive shows up. I assume I am missing a kext?

The second computer is a HP desktop AMD Atholon 64 3700+, REL8139, ATI Express 200, 160Gig SATA HD)

#Same problem as above. I can boot up on the CD and get to the part where I need to run diskutil but no hard drives are listed at all.

two different computer, same HD problem.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Hey, Try playing with your bios settings and see if you can turn on AHCI mode for your sata.

I wasn't able to change the SATA mode in the bios. I even upgrade the DELL 1501 bios incase they had changed it but ti didn't help. I also tried booting off the CD using -s and to see if I can fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0 to it. rdisk0 was my CDROM...no luck. It's killing me that im RIGHT there to install but no hard drive. It's like having a brand new car but no gass to put in it.

Again my setup is:

DELL 1501 Inspiron

AMD x2 Turion 64

2 Gigs Ram

120 SATA HD

Broadcom Nic

9200 Sig Audio

ATI Express 1150 VC

I'd also like to point out I tried Jas 10.4.8 AMd/INTEL PF1&PF2 DVD and it boots fine on the DELL 1501, but diskutil can't see any HD.

Any other ideas or direction would be most helpful.

Thanks.

I wasn't able to change the SATA mode in the bios. I even upgrade the DELL 1501 bios incase they had changed it but ti didn't help. I also tried booting off the CD using -s and to see if I can fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0 to it. rdisk0 was my CDROM...no luck. It's killing me that im RIGHT there to install but no hard drive. It's like having a brand new car but no gass to put in it.

Again my setup is:

DELL 1501 Inspiron

AMD x2 Turion 64

2 Gigs Ram

120 SATA HD

Broadcom Nic

9200 Sig Audio

ATI Express 1150 VC

I'd also like to point out I tried Jas 10.4.8 AMd/INTEL PF1&PF2 DVD and it boots fine on the DELL 1501, but diskutil can't see any HD.

Any other ideas or direction would be most helpful.

Thanks.

I found a link that talks about a fix for my problem but it's for 10.4. Would this work for 10.5?

It has you installing onto vmware, installing a kext IOATAFamily.kext. It doens't say where these files are located tho.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...810&hl=5051