Whats all the SIUD Warnings.?

macprodan

9 posts in this topic

Seriously, ‘Repair Permissions’ Is Voodoo.

10.5.1 is the culprit. I have an additional warning from the ARDAgent update as well. Mac OS X 10.5: Disk Utility's Repair Disk Permissions reports a permissions issue with ARDAgent.

Issue or symptom

The following message may appear in the Disk Utility log window when repairing disk permissions.

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent has been modified and will not be repaired.

Products affected

- Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard

Solution

You can safely ignore this message. It is accurate, but not a cause for concern.

Are you sure? With 10.5 I had these problems, 10.5.1 fixed them for me.

Before 10.5.1 the only warning I had was for ARDAgent. After installing 10.5.1 (using Apple Software Update) I noticed 8 new SUID warnings. So that was my conclusion. Other people have reported similar observations. Apparently you can resolve all warnings except the ARDAgent one by installing the 10.5.1 Update from the MacOSXUpd10.5.1.dmg (not with Apple Software Update) --> Mac OS X 10.5.1 Update DMG.

10.5.1 is out, finally.

Permissions and 10.5.1

Updated to 10.5.1, now I'm getting 9 SUID warnings

Currently I have 10.5.1 installed (via Apple Software Update) and see the following 9 SUID Warnings:

Warning: SUID file "usr/libexec/load_hdi" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskManagement.framework/Versions/A/Resources/DiskManagementTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Locum" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Versions/A/Resources/runner" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Admin.framework/Versions/A/Resources/readconfig" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Admin.framework/Versions/A/Resources/writeconfig" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/libexec/authopen" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/OwnerGroupTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Ahh, I'm not alone with that opinion. :D

I actually recall it fixing some odd problem for me way back, but that was likely caused by yours truly when fooling around with .kext's in the terminal. Except in such rare cases, repairing permissions will likely not help (and you should certainly not waste time doing it when everything works!).

Repairing permissions is vodoo?

If you don´t do it, certain files will not get their correct settings back, as they are altered with an update overwrite. You can also get disk error later on wich needs to be repaird from the dvd.

So, people who think that you don´t need to do this should probably not use OS X at all.

How many have actually turned on their firewall, and also set it up in stealthmode?

Not many from what i can tell when i ask mac users and pc´s users running OS X.

It´s just sad..

Repairing permissions is vodoo?

If you don´t do it, certain files will not get their correct settings back, as they are altered with an update overwrite. You can also get disk error later on wich needs to be repaird from the dvd.

So, people who think that you don´t need to do this should probably not use OS X at all.

How many have actually turned on their firewall, and also set it up in stealthmode?

Not many from what i can tell when i ask mac users and pc´s users running OS X.

It´s just sad..

Which programs would overwrite them and cause their permissions to go 'bad'? And what would the consequences be?

Disk errors have NO relation to file permissions whatsoever.

Also, having a firewall in stealth mode may be good (it's arguable), but calling it 'sad' that people don't do so is, well, sad really. :(