interesting SATA "problem"

MacHreina

5 posts in this topic

Hi!

I have a Dell E520 (no, just keep on reading..this is very interesting) and when installing and booting Tiger (macdotnub) went like a dream (except for the X1300 card and Sigtmatel audio) I bumped into a strange problem when installing Leopard (ToH rc2).

I currently have to SATA disks. One for XP and one for Mac, and one SATA DVD. These are connected to the motherboard as SATA0 (XP), 1(Mac) and 4(DVD). To be able to install Leopard, I had to disconnect the XP disk, set the Mac disk as SATA 0, DVD as SATA1 and set the drive to ATA mode. If I put the XP drive as SATA 0 (then disable it in BIOS) , and Mac as 1 (enabled), DVD as nr 4 (Because 2 and 3 is not operational) and then set disks as ATA mode, the installation program "crashes" (still waiting for boot device).

Logic?...no I don´t think so either.

Back to Tiger; I could set this in RAID mode and it booted like a dream, and it ignored in what order the disks were connected.

So after upgrading to leopard, I connected the XP drive as nr 0, mac as 1 and dvd as 4. The only way to boot Mac now is to set the disks as ATA mode the it boot without any problem. If I set it back to RAID mode (or something like that) it crashes (stop sign).

I thought that upgrading kept the SATA "settings" from Tiger, but obviously not.

Does anyone have experienced this kind of problem? ...anyone?...please?

Hi!

I have a Dell E520 (no, just keep on reading..this is very interesting) and when installing and booting Tiger (macdotnub) went like a dream (except for the X1300 card and Sigtmatel audio) I bumped into a strange problem when installing Leopard (ToH rc2).

I currently have to SATA disks. One for XP and one for Mac, and one SATA DVD. These are connected to the motherboard as SATA0 (XP), 1(Mac) and 4(DVD). To be able to install Leopard, I had to disconnect the XP disk, set the Mac disk as SATA 0, DVD as SATA1 and set the drive to ATA mode. If I put the XP drive as SATA 0 (then disable it in BIOS) , and Mac as 1 (enabled), DVD as nr 4 (Because 2 and 3 is not operational) and then set disks as ATA mode, the installation program "crashes" (still waiting for boot device).

Logic?...no I don´t think so either.

Back to Tiger; I could set this in RAID mode and it booted like a dream, and it ignored in what order the disks were connected.

So after upgrading to leopard, I connected the XP drive as nr 0, mac as 1 and dvd as 4. The only way to boot Mac now is to set the disks as ATA mode the it boot without any problem. If I set it back to RAID mode (or something like that) it crashes (stop sign).

I thought that upgrading kept the SATA "settings" from Tiger, but obviously not.

Does anyone have experienced this kind of problem? ...anyone?...please?

Read my Dell E520 Leopard Install Guide

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=510839

Yeah, I read through your installation guide (very good by the way) but it seems that I have the same problem as "hotmonkeyac".

Hotmonkeayc got his system working. He did it without an external disk.

If you follow my guide, you can install Leopard in raid0 mode, same as your e520 was shipped with Windows. macdotnub will also install that way; in fact you need to install Tiger 1st to follow my guide.

In other words, leave BIOS settings as your system was shipped -- do not switch SATA to AHCI mode.

Hotmonkeayc got his system working. He did it without an external disk.

If you follow my guide, you can install Leopard in raid0 mode, same as your e520 was shipped with Windows. macdotnub will also install that way; in fact you need to install Tiger 1st to follow my guide.

In other words, leave BIOS settings as your system was shipped -- do not switch SATA to AHCI mode.

Thanks for the reply. Only one more thing: if I try to install Leopard (upgrading Tiger) wtih BIOS in "default" mode, it stops on "waiting for ....". So, is it not possible to install it in AHCI mode then add SATA drivers later?