To build or to buy....

6 posts in this topic

Been drooling over the Mac Pro's on the Apple site.

I have built many PC's in my time, but was wondering if its possible for me to build a stable enough system to be able to install 10.5 on it, and run it with Photoshop, Quark & Indesign on it??

I have a small graphic and web design company, so I would need it to be stable as a rock, as quark etc is instable enough without system crashes.

I have a Macbook, but have limited knowledge about macs, no problems with PC's tho.

or should I just bite the bullet and fork out the dosh for a Mac Pro?

Go for the mac pro, any home built mac will have problems, also getting all the parts running is a pain if you dont choose specific stuff. If you don't know much about macs, I reccomend signing up for Apple's One-to-One program. They will teach you whatever you want (Apple Products), and they can help you out. I have it and I a smart apple guy and now I am even smarter.

If business is considered, I go for the option of buying a real Mac. This is to ensure stablity and cessate crashes. However, I personally think that Hackint0sh-es are merely a hobby; a hobby for PC Power Users :).

I've read an article about building a system for 10.5, and its 99%stable. However, that depends on the performance thing. If you're rich enough, go for a real mac. If not, consider a near-mac Hackint0sh; now that the EFI and Vanilla Kernel exist, its close to a real mac.

Somehow, when we are using OS X on a hackint0sh, we have this feeling of triumph inside saying that we're one step ahead on other normal computer users.

-jed

Cheers for the replies skyhighmac & jed717ph, I think I will go for the Mac Pro option, however I may consider one from the Apple reconditioned shop to save a few quid.

As far as EFI and Vanilla Kernel's go, you might as well be talking japanese to me :D .

We're selling our house at the minute and relocating to another part of the UK, and will have some dosh spare, so I agree that while I have the option to take the more stable option, and hopefully make the most of it if the business takes off.

Doesnt mean to say I dont fancy trying a dual boot system, or even a triple boot - XP, Vista & Tiger. Just for the hell of it.

I have already upgraded my MacBook to Tiger, and have a partition ready to install Vista on to it tonight.

Having checked the Apple refurb store again, they still dont have any refurbished Mac Pro's with 10.5, they all ship with 10.4.

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/wa/RSLID?nplm=FA356

However at that price I might as well go the extra £85(UK sterling) and get 10.5 while I am at it.

The prices work out at about 17% of rrp.

Any better deals to be had at an apple store? We dont have any here in Northern Ireland, but there's one in Scotland where we are moving to.

Anyone ever have any problems buying a refurbished Mac??