EFI for dummies

chicagofilms

10 posts in this topic

Could someone please explain EFI for the dummies :P out there?

What exactly does the work netkas is doing mean? Is it a BIOS flash for a mobo that will let people just pop in a retail OS X disc and install it?

Or is it some sort of BIOS emulation that runs an a hackintosh after you have it up and running?

Could someone please explain EFI for the dummies :blink: out there?

What exactly does the work netkas is doing mean? Is it a BIOS flash for a mobo that will let people just pop in a retail OS X disc and install it?

Or is it some sort of BIOS emulation that runs an a hackintosh after you have it up and running?

PC_EFI is a bootloader that creates an efi environment for your OS X to run under.

If can be run either from grub (Unix bootloader common to Linux, FreeBSD and Solaris) or by installing to bootsector of partition.

It does not involve flashing your BIOS.

While it does not run a retail DVD directly, in a sufficiently compatible computer, you could copy retail disk to a partition using disk utility, make some minor modifications, then boot that image and install Leopard. In fact, that is just how I installed Leopard to my Dell E520, even though DVD would not boot.

I sort of get it, but then not. Perhaps answers to a couple questions could help.

1) Why will OSX DVDs not boot on a PC?

2) Is it because PCs don't have native EFI?

3) How is EFI implemented on a real Mac? Through a bios? Some other Way?

4) Once you add EFI to a PC, will OSX DVDs then boot?

I know these are noob questions, but they would really help me understand better.

Thanks!

Could someone please explain EFI for the dummies :unsure: out there?

Try on this address http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extensible_Firmware_Interface

I sort of get it, but then not. Perhaps answers to a couple questions could help.

I know these are noob questions, but they would really help me understand better.

Thanks!

1. You answered it in number 2

2. Yes

3. Macs don't use a bios...but in layman's terms, EFI...in its full implementation, is like a bios replacement

4. No...read the posts above yours.

The EFI emulators that we are using are not replacing our bios. They are only a very small part of part of the total EFI that tricks the computer into allowing a more Mac like installation on our PCs and updating our systems directly from Apple as opposed to waiting for someone to create a hacked kernel. We get to use most of the real files just as they appear on the actual install disk.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to jump in and ask something that I've been wondering about myself.

I have an Intel E2160, which apparently "supports" PC_EFI, but my motherboard has a VIA chipset. What will I gain by using PC_EFI? I don't think I can use a vanilla kernel on a VIA chipset, so what else can it do? Would it make it any easier to update OS X?

Thanks.

Thanks!

1)Mac Install DVD are in .DMG format. The BIOS doesnt know what to do with that

2)Yes mac wrote their firmware to boot off it.

3)Its their firmware

4)No

• 2 weeks later...
PC_EFI is a bootloader that creates an efi environment for your OS X to run under.

If can be run either from grub (Unix bootloader common to Linux, FreeBSD and Solaris) or by installing to bootsector of partition.

It does not involve flashing your BIOS.

While it does not run a retail DVD directly, in a sufficiently compatible computer, you could copy retail disk to a partition using disk utility, make some minor modifications, then boot that image and install Leopard. In fact, that is just how I installed Leopard to my Dell E520, even though DVD would not boot.

Hi wmarsh

Would you be able to document how you went about instaling Leopard using your method. I too have just bought a retail OSX DVD and want to install it on my Intel box.

many thanks