Unable to start install DVD

Kinseek

3 posts in this topic

I am having some trouble in my quest to install Mac OS X Tiger. I`ve tried two different releases (uphuck and mac.dot.nub), both of which halt at the boot. The key problem here seems to be "waiting for boot volume"

I tried to take some screenshots, but they turned out worse then I thought they would. I might be able to take some better ones if requested.

My first attempt:

dsc00011bx5.th.jpg

Unplugged all USB devices (of which most noteworthy would be my external HD)

dsc00013hx6.th.jpg

My system:

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850

4096MB RAM

Geforce 8800GTS 640

Nec AD-5170 DVD Burner (connected to the only IDE, set to master)

Samsung 500 GB SATA Drive (connected to the top SATA port on the mobo)

WD MyBook 400GB via USB.

Anyone got a clue as to what the problem is? Or how it might be fixed?

I am having some trouble in my quest to install Mac OS X Tiger. I`ve tried two different releases (uphuck and mac.dot.nub), both of which halt at the boot. The key problem here seems to be "waiting for boot volume"

I tried to take some screenshots, but they turned out worse then I thought they would. I might be able to take some better ones if requested.

My first attempt:

dsc00011bx5.th.jpg

Unplugged all USB devices (of which most noteworthy would be my external HD)

dsc00013hx6.th.jpg

My system:

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850

4096MB RAM

Geforce 8800GTS 640

Nec AD-5170 DVD Burner (connected to the only IDE, set to master)

Samsung 500 GB SATA Drive (connected to the top SATA port on the mobo)

WD MyBook 400GB via USB.

Anyone got a clue as to what the problem is? Or how it might be fixed?

Why you dont try Leopard ToH version?

Great, that release worked. However; I got this error when it started copying files after I selected the partition for the install, which I had previously made for Mac (formatted as FAT32 in Windows).

dsc00014ly5.th.jpg

Is it because it was in FAT32 and MacOS doesn`t like to automatically convert it to HFS? Or is it due to something else?

I was going to try and use the disc utility in the installer to make the FAT32 partition a HFS one, but then I got a little cold feet. That partition shares the same HD as my Windows install, and more importantly a partition with all my stuff that I do not want to loose. Will installing MacOS, and using the disk utility to tamper with the partition, screw those up?

And I noticed this release was marked with "Release Candidate 2". Is that just a label put on for the hacked release, or is the source of the release a not-quite-final RC2 of MacOS itself?