Refit-disabling Network diagnosis icon

mrcool

6 posts in this topic

Recently used Refit- seems working fine. I have only two OS installed in my MAC but when restart the machine it comes up with three option. MAC - apple hardware test -Windows. I do not know how to remove that middle one. any idea ?

Recently used Refit- seems working fine. I have only two OS installed in my MAC but when restart the machine it comes up with three option. MAC - apple hardware test -Windows. I do not know how to remove that middle one. any idea ?

Just to let you know that my problem has resolved by manipulating retif config file. Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

That doesn't explain how MrCool did it by editing the config file. Also, if what you are saying is true, then I should still be able to disable it without re-installing the entire OS from a non machine specific install DVD. I guess the next question is - how and where does the stock iMac DVD install this software and how can I manipulate it to disable it/remove it? Or, back to my original question for MrCool - how do we edit the refit config fiile to remove the icon?

• 3 weeks later...

You cannot disable the Hardware Test icon by editing refit.conf. You can only remove the icon by removing the Hardware Test software. Reinstalling a retail OS apparently works. Finding the hidden folder and removing that works as well. You probably don't want to do either.

Hardware Test used to be included on Mac install DVDs only. After several reports / questions came in, I've realized that Apple has started installing it on the hard disk as well. That actually makes a lot of sense -- unless it's your hard disk drive that's broken, you can run the diagnostics without spending half an hour to dig up that install DVD in your basement. So instead of telling people how to remove the Hardware Test software, or adding a special option to refit.conf to hide it, I'm going to change rEFIt's detection routines to make booting Hardware Test an option in the submenu (hit '+' or F2 to get it), like single user and verbose boot modes today.

I don't have an ETA for when the new release will be made.