A Tri Boot Story - Leopard, Tiger, Xp

ptesone

3 posts in this topic

It all started with Windows XP

then came along my 1st JaS DVD way back when that I installed on a separate hard drive . . .It was then I realized I could do a dual boot with my XP drive and Tiger drive by simply modifying the boot.ini file of my XP drive so it looked like:

[boot loader]
timeout=5
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
c:\chain0="Mac OS X"

and adding a file called chain0 from my mac drive from here:

/usr/standalone/i386/chain0

(I found all this out from here):

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...bootloader_boot

So now along comes Leopard, I'm thinking to myself, well Tubgilrs Tiger is running perfect on my AMD system, why should I?

So just for grins I download it, but it's for intel only. But I run along this post:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...&hl=toh+amd

and apply the patch to the iso image and install it on a 3rd separate hard drive. . .

By now I'm thinking yea right, like this is really gonna work. . .I see people are having problems booting their newly installed Leopard systems so since I was already doing the dual boot thingee with windows I decied to try it by changing my CMOS boot order so chain0 was actually pointing to the Leopard drive, and guess what IT BOOTED and I was able to grab my user files from Tiger - yay!

so now when I want to flip between my Tiger and Leopard I simply switch drives in CMOS to reflect which mac drive I'm gonna boot to. . .

turns out you have to run Leopard using -legacy when booting (which is actually 32 bit mode) because there is no kernel available YET for using the 64bit stuff. . .now that Leopard was able to boot I noticed all the nvidia kexts had been excommunicated from the ToH release I was using so I had no video acceleration, which were apparently causing KP's. . .

A little while alter I ran across the original Leopard NVIDIA kexts here:

[removed]

and a fellow IM user was kind enuff to post the directions here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=70775#

and wella got video acceleration. Got my System Profiler working from another post along the way. . .

anyway I hope this helps someone on their adventures!

Nice tutorial, I'll try the dual boot solution (I only have Leo & XP).

How did you got your System Profiler to work? I've tried two methods found on this forum (one of a Colonel's and one with a SPPReporter something... ), and after both I get the same problem - System Profiler works, but the Hardware Overview tab only displays a "There was an error while gathering this information." message.

Can you post your System Profiler kext here? Maybe it will help...

Thanks!

Nice tutorial, I'll try the dual boot solution (I only have Leo & XP).

How did you got your System Profiler to work? I've tried two methods found on this forum (one of a Colonel's and one with a SPPReporter something... ), and after both I get the same problem - System Profiler works, but the Hardware Overview tab only displays a "There was an error while gathering this information." message.

Can you post your System Profiler kext here? Maybe it will help...

Thanks!

I think I went here