Which 17" Laptop shall I buy ?

BuXb

7 posts in this topic

I am really tired of my Toshi iHack, which cannot be transformed into a full hackint0sh because of a incompatible BIOS, which keeps LAN, WLAN and Sound from working in Mac OS X.x.

Here's the internals which I need to have working (=without having to add external hardware):

- USB

- LAN

- Sound

- Grafics QE/CI @ 1440 x 900

- Firewire

and if possible internal WLAN (I am fine with card swapping, if after card exchange WLAN is working. I have an ORIGINAL Apple WLAN Mini-PCIe-card in my Laptop right now, which does not work because of the BIOS issue .. :( )

Sleep is not that important, neither is unimportant periphery like Modem etc. But the moving components (both fans & HD) should really be silent!

So, which new Intel based 17" can you advice me to buy :D ?

Bugs

hi

i have a acer aspire 9423 and i've instaled even the ToH leo on this but it's still not fully supported dual core

on kalyway dvd and uphuck 1.4 r2 it's going all well except the wireless (iwi it's not working )

the integrated camera logitec it's not working neather

i have a acer aspire 9423 and i've instaled even the ToH leo on this but it's still not fully supported dual core

I solved the same issue by first applying the 10.5.1 Update, then Netka's 9.1.0 speedstep/intel/amd/sse3 kernel. I have not tried the 9.1.0/9.0.0 sleep sse3/sse2 kernel yet.

on kalyway dvd and uphuck 1.4 r2 it's going all well except the wireless (iwi it's not working)

so you never tried an exchange card (Atheros etc.)?

the integrated camera logitec it's not working neather

well I would't mind .. :angry:

does your Aspire have Firewire?

Bugs: I've worked on a few Acers and I'd recommend staying away from them, especially after owning a Tosh.

The tosh's are such higher build quality that the acer will feel pretty cheap most of the time...

I've only seen 2 or 3 high end acers ie. ferrari... but was usually not impressed.

What about gateway?

http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/Gatewa...01731sp75.shtml

That is probably a lot older than what you're looking for but you will see that it uses Broadcom wireless...

Sorry for your luck on your Toshi...

I've had decent results on mine... 10.4.10 kalyway, glitchman, + iopccard written by you...

everything works now except my atheros... 10.4.8(9) or leo should fix that...

waiting for an iso... taking forever

Also what about taking a hackintosh/linux install/live dvd into a box store?

Find a laptop you want to buy, ask the clerk to reboot to the cd and check out the dmesg...

a good salesperson should be ok with that. Everything recognizes then buy it.

Let me know how it goes :blink:

Just on the Toshiba page for my A100.

I see that aside from my 3945abg it also comes with an Atheros.

Perhaps you would be happiest with a more carefully chosen Toshiba?

You know how to get pcmcia working, and with an Atheros chipset you wouldnt even need to.

My sound and lan worked out of the box...

What about Asus too?

They might be as nice as a Toshiba... maybe more expensive though.

sorry but i don't have those card atheros but when i get one or other i'll post a answer in this subject

perhaps till then will be ready iwi 3945 in near future

i have other pcmcia USR wireless card but i forget it in my other home which is in another country and when i get back i'll give a try