Need help installing 10.4.8 on VMware Workstation 6.

novakedy

4 posts in this topic

Hey,

I've had this working before, but it was almost a year ago. I have a copy of the JaS 10.4.8 SSE2 SSE3 PPF1 + PPF2 ISO.

I have it both burned and on my hard drive. I use AMD. I set up my VMware config, with using Other > FreeBSD, 512 RAM (I have 1GB physical memory), host-only, pre-allocated, removed floppy, 1 processor, sound + display both auto-detected.

I did the paevm = "true" thing to the VMware config file. I startup my vm, I get through all the checks and whatnot, and I get to the magical blue screen.

Upon the blue screen, I get the language message, so I click the little -> button.

Then it "prepares me for install". Now this is where I get the problems.

I'm not really sure which image I have on the burned copy, since my friend gave the disc to me without knowing what image it was either.

Using the burned image:

It "prepares me for installation" and then I get the Welcome screen for the install.

I'll click Utilities > Disk Utility, and if God is nice at the time, he'll let it pop up, otherwise, I get this error message -

post-71501-1195008366_thumb.png

But sometimes, when I click the Disk Utility, it'll just go straight to that error message and then the vm will shut itself down after a few minutes, or if I touch anything.

If the Disk Utility does pop up (very rare), then it'll "Gather disk information" and just hang there forever.

Using the Daemon-mounted iso of the SSE2 SSE3 PPF1 PPF2:

I'll boot it up with the same config (but It'd be a fresh new vm), it'll go through most of the same checks and whatnot and I'll appear on the magical blue screen once again. Press the -> button. It'll prepare me for the installation. Then when it disappears, it just goes straight to the error message I posted above.

Now, honestly, I've never encountered/seen/or even heard of this error message before. Does anyone have any idea what's going on? And if it's a problem with the iso, would you be able to provide me with a link to a torrent for the right one?

My physical machine is AMD 64, 1GB RAM, 2.39 GHz. I've had this running before on VMware over a year ago or so using VMware Workstation 5, and I'm not sure if it was 10.4.8 or 10.4.7, but I know I had it running (cause I was all excited ;)). The only problem I had then was that it would be a perfect clean boot on the very first try, and then each time I tried booting the VM up after that, the ethernet stopped working. I didn't understand it then, and I don't even remember the settings I had on that VM.

I just wanna figure out what the heck is going on with this error message vvvv

post-71501-1195008366_thumb.png

Replies, PMs, and/or E-mails are greatly appreciated.

Even IM me on AIM if you have it,

I'm kinda bummed about the download time and the time I had to wait to get the disc from my friend.

Thank you in advance, I know the people on this forum are nice people :D