How I made EFI work with native kernel on my system

drbee

9 posts in this topic

I finally managed how to make native kernel work on my system!! I have a core 2 duo e4400 and a asrock conroe1333-d667 (intel chipset.

My mistake was that I kept trying to boot native kernel over patched kexts. The system kept reebooting.. Instead I replaced all my Extensions folder using Pacifist and orginal leo install dvd overwritiing my kexts with the original ones. I then just installed AppleSMBIOS.kext and dsmos.kext from the EFI package and boom!!! It works perfectly and amazingly well. System profiler still shows core solo instead of duo so if anyone has a fix for that let me know. I hope my experience will help someone....

I finally managed how to make native kernel work on my system!! I have a core 2 duo e4400 and a asrock conroe1333-d667 (intel chipset.

My mistake was that I kept trying to boot native kernel over patched kexts. The system kept reebooting.. Instead I replaced all my Extensions folder using Pacifist and orginal leo install dvd overwritiing my kexts with the original ones. I then just installed AppleSMBIOS.kext and dsmos.kext from the EFI package and boom!!! It works perfectly and amazingly well. System profiler still shows core solo instead of duo so if anyone has a fix for that let me know. I hope my experience will help someone....

. . seems a bit odd: one thing netkas' pc_efi SMBIOS (which you say you have installed) fixes fer sher is this "Core Solo" display issue.

Maybe less radical stuff to do before nuking the extensions folder and replacing it with pacifist from retail dvd or GM dmg is to delete the following:

/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kernelcaches

/System/Library/Extensions.mkext

Also F8 at boot and using -v -f as boot options, be a first step before radical surgery. Other users report that Apple stock kernel can work with any combination of patched and stock kexts.

Maybe less radical stuff to do before nuking the extensions folder and replacing it with pacifist from retail dvd or GM dmg is to delete the following:

/System/Library/Caches/com.boot.kernelcaches

/System/Library/Extensions.mkext

Also F8 at boot and using -v -f as boot options, be a first step before radical surgery. Other users report that Apple stock kernel can work with any combination of patched and stock kexts.

. . given you have dsmos.kext installed, yes.

ok i fixed it. It was something on the bios settings.. I disabled Enhance Halt State Max ,CPUIDValue Limit and CPUThermal Throttling .. I also noticed that if i don't enable No-Excute Memory Protection the reboot issue comes back... Anyway.. now profiler shows core 2 duo correctly

As soon as a read your post I tried that with an external USB Drive 2.5", formatted with APM, I've a partition there with MacOS X 10.4.10 that I use to fix the Apple Intel CPU. So, as you did, installed AppleSMBIOS.kext and dsmos.kext.

Rebooted, pressed F8, typed rd=disk3s9 and VOILÁ, thank you for posting this, THANKS: NETKAS, DEF, TURBO, TOH.

Well, I presume... it's just the begining..., great things are coming from this marvelous team!