OSX86 10.46 on PC seond drive_BOOT SETUP?

notechy

5 posts in this topic

Hello members

I have installed osx 10.4.6 on my machine. For this I used a second drive to be save. All working except network and a fix for the 3com card I have found and will install.

Can I dual boot with this setup?

How could I achieve this? Both drives are set that cable chooses the master. Is that allright?

I read a bit regarding chain0 and also that I would have to amend the boot ini. Iam not to sure about the first? Is this a text file with the chain0 record in the root directory?

With the boot ini I should be ok as there are a few samples how it looks like.

Would someone be able to give me a hand on this?

Thanks

NT

There are many methods...Chain0 uses the windows boot-up, whereas you can just edit com.apple.Boot.plist to use the Darwin bootloader.

You can also use a third party bootloader.

To see how the Darwin bootloader works, push F8 just before mac os starts loading. You should come to a boot options screen.

For more info, check wiki.osx86project.org

BTW I really recommend running a version newer than 10.4.8. But that's off the topic

I had your problem; had to use BIOS to boot MBR of 2nd disk, which worked.

However netkas' Darwin EFI loader v4 works with grub, so now you can copy boot_v4 to grub directory

For me this then loads OS X on 2nd disk (Grub menu.lst is on Suse install also on 2nd disk) by default.

There are many methods...Chain0 uses the windows boot-up, whereas you can just edit com.apple.Boot.plist to use the Darwin bootloader.You can also use a third party bootloader.To see how the Darwin bootloader works, push F8 just before mac os starts loading. You should come to a boot options screen.For more info, check wiki.osx86project.orgBTW I really recommend running a version newer than 10.4.8. But that's off the topic
SynaesthesiaThanks for that!option1. So, for chain0 I copy the chain0 into the root directory C: and edit the boot.ini with adding the osxoption2. I could edit the com.apple.Boot.plist which is, I guess, the osx "boot.ini"option3. I have downloaded from somewhere a boot manager called gag_4.9. Is that one any good? Would I install it through a floopy during boot up?option4. Acronis or Boot magic?Thanks for recomending re: running a never version!! Except I find it very difficult to source it!! My mobo has x86, MMX, SSE, SSE2 so I am not sure if I can find a never version for that? NT
I had your problem; had to use BIOS to boot MBR of 2nd disk, which worked.However netkas' Darwin EFI loader v4 works with grub, so now you can copy boot_v4 to grub directoryFor me this then loads OS X on 2nd disk (Grub menu.lst is on Suse install also on 2nd disk) by default.
wmarsh, Thanks, What did you change in the bios to boot the second disk? How did you set the jumpers on the drives?NT