Bizarre sound from video card

Brywalker

7 posts in this topic

I am getting the strangest thing. I get like a clicking or chirping sound from my video card during normal use. If there are changes on the screen, ie: highlight links, change background, stuff like that, I get a chirp from my video card. Obviously, this doesn't happen when using Windows. Any ideas? I have an X1900XT using the latest Jas installer on Leopard GM (Brazilmac).

I'll try to help!

1. Are you sure i'ts comming from your GFX card? (can't it be from your monitor, they sometime make sound at high resolution)

You could try to change your resolution, to test.

If it's not that,

2. Maybe your GFX card is running too hot, use ATITools in Windoze to test your GFX card, you could change the clock and/or fan speed and check if sounds come from the GFX card.

If yes, you could reprogram the BIOS of your card to change the fan speed rules of your GFX card to get too higher speed at lower temp.

Remember that ATItools changes don't survive to a reboot, it's only software. To make durable changes, you must temper with your BIOS. It's easy but risky if you're not careful, you know yourself and if patience isn't a virtue for you, don't try the following.

I use ATIflash to flash the card and RaBit 2.2.1 to edit the BIOS, check if it's compatible with your hardware! For BOTH program READ the instructions careFULLY, you're playing with your GFX BIOS.

If this doesn't work, too bad I have no other clue than that.

Good luck.

It's normal. Sometimes hardware makes noise. PCBs usually have no moving parts, so they only produce a coil whine etc. Clicking is a bit odd. I'd only worry if it gets louder, or started after never doing it before. Just because it's normal doesn't mean it can't be a sign of impending failure.

Thanks for the input guys! It is coming DIRECTLY from the video card. It has to be a coil or something, definitely not a fan. It does NOT make these noises in Vista, so I am wondering if it is a driver implementation or something (which doesn't make any sense at all). I wish I could make a video of it, but I don't have a camera here. It is BY FAR one of the strangest issues I have ever come across. At first I thought it was drive seek, but I held it up to my ear while doing stuff and it is coming DIRECTLY from the card.

So odd.

Thats really strange, run it heavy in Windows and touch the back under the

processor, maybe its getting really hot in OS X. A clicking coil is weird.

However your not the only one to have this happen read here,

http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-127998.html

There are at least 3 people with the same issue but diffrent cards.

• 2 weeks later...