Success: Booting Mac OS X Tiger from USB External Drive

Danyel

1 post in this topic

Hi All!

One of my friends asked me if it was possible to install dual boot of Tiger and Leopard on an Apple MacBook Pro. The question gave me an idea: I wondered if it was possible to install OSx86 on regular PC using an External Drive.

I received Vantec Nexstar3 2.5" USB Hard Drive enclosure yesterday. I had Toshiba 2.5" 40GB as spare drive. I placed the Hard Drive into the Enclosure, and booted with Myzar OSx86 10.4.6 DVD-ROM on my Dell Inspiron 1300 Laptop.

Mac OS X Installer showed up as usual and I proceeded with the install on my External Hard Drive (named Danyel-x86). After install was complete, I rebooted. Soon, I was presented with Apple's Migration Assistant where I selected the Internal Hard Drive to migrate from. Apple's Migration Assistant copied all of my Applications, Documents and User Settings.

After that, I was able to boot straight into Mac OS X (10.4) using my External USB Drive (!)

I had to perform one hack (Broadcom Wireless to be recognized as Airport) and one software re-install (Unsanity's ShapeShifter to modify interface to look like Leopard) but otherwise the migration went flawlessly.

I'm typing this message from Mac OS X on the External drive.

Good luck with your installation. Booting from an External USB or Firewire Drive can be another option for running Mac OS X.

--danyel :(

post-22445-1194540723_thumb.jpg