Missing operating system. . .

Megnus

9 posts in this topic

I installed Leopard on a newly formatted partition and after I installed, the message "missing operatig system". I used Brazilmac's prepatched DVD and used the script that follows with it.

My motherboard is an Asus p5b deluxe. Do I have to have some drivers for the motherboard or something? ICH8/R

You don't need drivers for Ich8, they're built in to leo.

It may be that the partition is not marked as active, which has happened to me.

You can check this in windows by going to disk mangement, each drive says if it is active or not.

If that's the case, you don't see the word active on your leo disk,

try to find some software that can set the partition to active, like diskpart (in windows) or gparted or partition magic.

Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

i too am having this same problem, i have installed OS x many times, and i always get the same error whether i set the ID to AF, format with FAT32, or even when formatted with any of the options i get on the install menu, my computer always shows the same eror as yours, i thought that setting the partitions to active would have helped but it didnt, so if anyone has any ideas on howto resolve this please help!

thanks in advance. Guys

I always had good luck booting OSX with Grub, but only as a chainload, of course.

I don't have any experience with Leopard yet, so I don't know how it boots of if they're still using the Darwin boot loader like the Tiger releases. But, if they do, it's possible all you have to do is re-install the darwin boot sector on the partition you are looking to boot OSX from. I've had to do this to fix things after installing other operating systems. Seems OSX is finiky with booting.

The command would be something like this:

dd if=/usr/standalone/i386/boot1h of=/dev/rdisk1s2 bs=512 count=1

This assumes you have boot1h (if Leopard still has it, you may need to copy it from the DVD) and that your OSX partition is rdisk1s2 (look at disk tool to find out.)

Then, you could boot it with grub. For quite awhile I had a 50MB boot partition on my machine, with grub on EXT2, and all I was running was Windows and OSX. Grub just makes booting easier, and the best part is that you can always drop from the grub menu and manually boot to practically anything. It's very versatile.

For Tiger, OSX didn't have to be the active partition to boot with Darwin Boot Loader, but you'd always have to pick the OSX partition every boot since it defaults to the active. With grub, you can use the "makeactive" switch to make the OSX partition the Active partition, but just for that boot.

Anyways, again I haven't installed Leopard yet (I might try it tonight if the download is successful) but if you can do it like Tiger, that might help..