installation osx - disk utility - hd is shown but partitions all grey - cant format

analographi

5 posts in this topic

Hi,

I tried to install either the 10.4.10 nub and the 10.4.8 with vp1, defiant diskutil, ICHR7 prepatched. on my dell inspiron 6000, 2.13ghz pentium m, 2048gb 533 Ram, 100GB hitachi hd etc.

I can boot the DVD, come into the installation program but there are no volumes to choose as install destination. I open the disk utitlity and the HD and all its partition are shown (win XP and Data) there is allocated free space on the disk which can be seen when I click the disk (on the left instead of the volumes). I "could" create a partition in the free space, but when I would click "partition" it would (as you all know) erase all data on all volumes.

I can't select any of the shown partitions (on the left) for mounting. they are all "grey".

So I'm stuck in that part of the installation...

Any help on this?

I tried:

Creating a ext3 partition for osx with ubuntu live cd before installing to then format it in disk util with hfs+

Creating a fat32 partition for osx with ubuntu live cd before installing to then format it in disk util with hfs+

the partitions where seen and shown (in grey), but I was not able to format them or mount them with disk utility.

Furthermore one thing seems strange. in the diskutility in the diskinfos it shows the HD as "SATA" but its a normal IDE...

You need to format the partition with Mac OS X Disk Utitlity. Select partition and format it using "Mac Journaled"

Mac OS Installation > Click "Disk Utility" > Select Partition > Click "Erase" tab > Select "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" > Click "Erase" button

Hi, Thank you for the reply.

I'm aware of that. But the problem is that if I click the erase button nothing happens.

Is there any type of partition which favorably should be there before erasing?

I tried ext3 and Fat32.

Is it normal that the volumes are grey?

Thanks!

It worked now. I used the JAS with defiant disk util after having created a Fat32 partition with ubuntu. diskutil was able to erase and then I could install... hangs with grey screen after first boot now... damm.. will have to try around with the install options now :(