[Fixed] iBook G4 Leopard Woes

iDemonix

5 posts in this topic

Ok I've got the Leopard installer on my 3G iPod 20GB. Now I know it's perfect on the iPod because my eMac boots from it without a hitch. However when I plug it into my iBook ( FireWire ) it asks me to select my disc, which I do, then it gets to the Apple logo loading screen, then the blue screen, then it goes to a dark gray bg screen and hangs. The cursor becomes the dreaded pin wheel and it just sits there. I've left it for 40 minutes to no avail.

I've booted the iBook and removed The Bad APE but that didn't make a difference.

The problem has to lie with the iBook, anyone got any insight as to what might be the problem or things to try ? Not afraid of deleting things as I want the full format and install anyway.

Cheers, Dan.

Update: I just reinstalled Tiger with the discs that came with the Mac. I plugged the iPod in and booted into it and it's doing it again. Doesn't even get me to the installer, I just get stuck on a dark gray screen with a spinning pin wheel. I'm sure it's not the hardware or Tiger would of installed. I thought maybe it's because my RAM is below Leopard requirements ( it's 256 ) but then it'd surely tell me this on the Installer rather than just freezing.

Any advice welcomed with open arms!

The Leopard sys requirements are 512 minimum. But if I booted with less than that I should be able to get the installer up and it'd alert me that my sys memory is too low. It wouldn't just hang on the gray screen surely. I might go buy some more RAM, I could do with some anyway but I doubt it'll make a difference.

Dan