Finder Hacked!

DAddYE

35 posts in this topic

This hack is good but I still need to use Pathfinder as Finder merely puts the folders first if you choose classification by kind. What I really want to happen is an alphabetical listing of items but has folders coming first (just like in Windows Explorer/Pathfinder).

This hack is good but I still need to use Pathfinder as Finder merely puts the folders first if you choose classification by kind. What I really want to happen is an alphabetical listing of items but has folders coming first (just like in Windows Explorer/Pathfinder).

That would really be great, but I am happy

Logically, in my opinion is right that sorted Alphabetical folder are mixed, like when are sorted by size etc...

But by kind I think is correct keep on top folder.

In my files I totally deleted the string "Folder", because I dont need to know what is it.

Logically, in my opinion is right that sorted Alphabetical folder are mixed, like when are sorted by size etc...

But by kind I think is correct keep on top folder.

In my files I totally deleted the string "Folder", because I dont need to know what is it.

So is there a hack so as to put folders first when them items are sorted alphabetically? I'm sure you guys can find a hack for this one. Just a lil' quirk but it would make me really happy nontheless.

Nice hack. Unfortunately taking advantage of it means files are no longer sorted alphabetically. I mean, they are within filetypes, but not overall. And it's not possible to sort by anthing else (like date) and still have the folders grouped up at the top. Not a fault on DaddyE's part, just a reflection of how retarded Finder is.

In a folder with a ton of files and some directories to further break down content, it's a major PITA to find the folder among all the files. I hate hate that Finder doesn't have a directory tree panel, and that the file list panel doesn't put the folders at the top.

I guess people on Macs aren't supposed to sort their files by putting them in different directories, but I have drives (or drive structures anyway) that I've had for a long time and I'm not going to take all my content and dump it into one folder and let Leopard sort it with iPhoto and iTunes and stuff. I have stuff sorted by folder, and I'd like a better way to use it.

I already wrote a music player that uses the filesystem for sorting of what plays next and finding songs, and now I'm on the quixotic adventure of writing a filebrowser that acts like I want as well :D At least it's fun and educional even if I never finish, but I wouldn't be doing this if Finder was sane.

It's even worse with the file save dialog. Saving a webcomic involves dumping it in /Volumes/whatever/junk/webcomics/NameOfComic/. This habit predates my use of OSX. Hunting for each folder from among the tons of files surrounding them just blows. If I could just type the path in by hand like I can in KDE, it wouldn't be so bad but I can't do that either and that just blows. Replacing the file save dialog is even less likely to be something I'll ever be able to do. I'd switch to OSX full time in a heartbeat if saving/loading/browsing files wasn't so broken.