Flogging a dead horse?

AndrewNZ

15 posts in this topic

Hi all.

Downloaded and successfully installed 10.4.6 on a P4P800 with a leadtek 6600GT AGP video card. Sound works and Realtek ethernet works. For some reason the SATA drives are not visible but the IDE drive is.

Getting graphics with acceleration and resolution utility has been a problem though - it boots into 1024x768 unaccelerated (VESA?) res which, although functional, obviously isn't a workable solution. I've tried basically every hack I could find on the 'net with the attendant kernel panics and lockups and subsequent re-installs, but no go, so I'm inclined towards flagging the attempt (unless somebody has a magic solution that Google hasn't found for me yet) and starting afresh with a new iso. (That will be no small investment as my broadband is capped at 15GB and this month's allocation has pretty much evaporated with the 10.4.6 attempt. C'est la vie... ;-) )

I have a Mac with Tiger so I feel reasonably comfortable with that version of the OS so I'd like to ask, if I may, if there's a consensus as to which iso has the best chance of being compatible with my hardware. Failing that, perhaps some kind soul who has managed to get the 6600GT working successfully with a particular iso could chime in with a recommendation.

Thanks in advance.

Andy.

Just a little update.

Got the Macvidia 1.0.81 package to install although it doesn't like 1280x1024x85.

This is it at the moment:

NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT

Type: Display

Bus: PCI

VRAM (Total): 128 MB

Vendor: nVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x00f1

Revision ID: 0x00a2

Displays:

CPD-G500:

Resolution: 1280 x 960 @ 85 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Not Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

Bus is AGP, not PCI though.

As you can see, no CI or QE with this driver, but heaps better than 1024x768.

If anybody knows of a way to enable the screen calibration utility, I'd be grateful.

Otherwise, baby steps towards a working Hackintosh.

Cheers,

Andy.

You can get your 6600GT working with full QE/CI and res change if you install titan/natit. But you need 10.4.8 or newer, with a 8.8.1 kernel.

So either you can download a new distribution of Mac OS X that's newer than 10.4.8, or you can update to 10.4.8 using egwan's installer. (your cpu must be intel sse3). I recommend it highly, just look aruond for egwan's patcher.

You will soon forget about Macvidia!

Thanks for your feedback Synaesthesia.

Unfortunately the CPU in my Windows box is a Northwood, so it doesn't support SSE3. If I can find a cheap Prescott around I will seriously look at replacing the old P4D and open up a bunch of opportunities that I'm missing as a result of having outdated kit.

I'm adding this to my favourites as it should be handy sometime in the future at least. :-)

The Macvidia solution seems to work as a resolution setting tool, but doesn't seem to accelerate the graphics much, if at all. And the calibration app doesn't want to know, so I'm thinking that my current route is a dead-end. I guess a hardware upgrade is the only way forward, but it's been an interesting trip this far - I have a feeling I'm going to be quite good with the terminal app before long. :-)

I appreciate your taking the time to contribute.

Cheers,

Andy.

You can get the 10.4.8 (or higher) kernel running on SSE2, but like I said, it's easiest to re-install than to update. Although that can be done as well. I don't know how much bandwidth you have.

I know, macvidia gives you no acceleration, and Titan/Natit/Nvinject give you full everything!

Maybe the best thing is if you download Uphuck 1.4ir3 10.4.9. It's only 1.4gb, and includes great drivers. It obviously has software missing, (like ichat) but you can install that from your 10.4.6 dvd using pacifist.

That's what I did (after the whole upgrade catastrophe).

Anyway, cheers then

On the uphuk upgrade torrent as we speak. (Can be tricky to get a seed - Demonoid never seems to accept new registrants.) :) I'll post my results as and when I have 'em.

Thanks again for taking the time to assist. It's really good to get some positive support being a noob at this and all. Hope I'll be in the position to return the favour one day. :D

Cheers,

Andy

Downloaded Uphuck 1.4ir3 10.4.9 and installed. All seemed to go fine until rebooting and getting to the login screen where it stops at present since it won't accept my user name or maybe my password. Or perhaps both. Puzzling since they used to work. Oh well, I'll just have to search the forums and see if it's a known issue and if there's a fix. If not, it's back to 10.4.6 I guess.

Good thing that I view this as a challenge. One positive thing is that the refresh and res of the video graphics seems to be at a decent level at this stage of the boot as opposed to the flickery lo res effort that used to accompany an install.

Ah well, time to go googling. :(

Eureka. :king:

Perserverance pays off. Posting from Safari in 10.4.9 thanks to Uphuck and team. I'll add details as I go over the next few days but a couple of quick comments.

6600GT is running accelerated, with CI and QE at 1280x960x85

NTFS drive automounts to desktop

Menu bar shows volume, time and Spotlight (which hasn't shown up until now)

Colour calibration app works

Sound and network all good

Wacom tablet installed fine

Logitech keyboard works without the Logitech drivers (but I'll install those later anyway to get the complete functionality)

Learned not to use the login window fix during the install

Special thanks to Synaesthesia for the advice to try this version. Most appreciated.

Gotta run, but more later.

Cheers,

Andy

"If you want to install the things that are missing in uphuck (ichat, dictionary etc etc.)use pacifist and your older dvd (10.4.6)"

I'll do that. I'd guess that versiontracker will have Pacifist.

Do I need to use the hacked 10.4.6 DVD or would it be better to use my original Tiger install disc to get the missing apps?

Thx in advance.

Cheers,

Andy.

Cool.

Thanks again.

More updates when I have 'em. (Assuming I'm not boring everybody to death with this blow-by-blow diary of a Mad Hackintosher. :blink: )

EDIT: Solved Oki B4250 print problems by installing gutenprint-5.1.3.U.dmg. It's an open source driver that relies on a couple of other packages for functionality, but it's easy enough to select the appropriate helper apps from the relevant printer page.

I have a Belkin F1UP0001 print server on the LAN and I couldn't print using the supplied Oki drivers.

Your downloads/install will depend on your printer but the process is a doddle. Heck, even I can do it. :D