Question about BootLoader (boot.ini)

hotmonkeayc

5 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

Right now I've got a system running XP an OS X. I'm using Acronis OS Selector to boot into each one. I've decided to scrap that and just use boot.ini. I had installed windows first, then os x.

I booted into windows, downloaded chain0, threw it in C:\ and added:

C:\chain0="Mac OS X"

..to boot.ini. Well, when I restart I get the options to choose....however, when I choose OS X it just goes black for a second and then comes back to the menu. Does anyone have any suggestions? Does it matter that I installed OS X last? When I go back to Acronis it seems to work just fine. Can I do it manually by adding something like:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)="Mac OS X"

Please help!

Apparently when I was choosing OS X it was going to Darwin's boot loader, which would just boot to the active partition (Windows), therefore bringing me right back to the OS selector. So I set the active partition to OS X and changed Darwin to give me some time...and just scrapped the whole boot.ini. The only problem I'm having now is getting it to boot to XP by default. When I use the "Kernel Keys" it leaves OSX unbootable. I'm still looking into it, but not a huge deal for now.