chain0 with Leopard and Vista

kerb

13 posts in this topic

Ok so a week or 2 ago I got Tiger running on my laptop with Vista on a primary partition, Tiger on another primary partition, and Vista's bootloader with chain0 to boot into Tiger. Everything worked fine.

Then I got brazilmac's Leopard disc and wiped out the Tiger partition (reformatted with the same mac journalized settings again), and followed the "3 easy steps" to install Leopard. No errors. Rebooted and I get a blank screen with a blinking "_" cursor.

Thinking it was a bootloader problem, I used my Vista disc to fix my boot again and followed the same instructions for adding chain0 to the Vista boot files that I did with Tiger, and now when I try to boot to Leopard I get the chain booting error.

Any ideas of what I can try? Am I using chain0 incorrectly? Is it even compatible with Leopard? Does anyone have a working Vista/Leopard dual boot with brazilmac's image?

allright, i tried tboot instead of chain0, but now i get the hfs partition error instead. so i guess i'm looking at some sort of formatting issue, and now the question is why?

i followed all the instructions step by step, twice... i guess i'll just have to keep trying different things.

allright, i tried tboot instead of chain0, but now i get the hfs partition error instead. so i guess i'm looking at some sort of formatting issue, and now the question is why?

i followed all the instructions step by step, twice... i guess i'll just have to keep trying different things.

Give EasyBCD a try.

It'll create a OS X (and other OS's entry in the Vista) bootloader.

i gave easybcd a shot, but still no luck. chain booting error again. it's what i figured would happen, i mean easybcd just adds the same entry that i added manually.

i'm pretty sure now that this is not a bootloader issue at all, especially since i tried going into diskpart and making my leopard partition active and still couldn't boot up. so that cuts the vista bootloader out altogether and means my leopard install itself is not bootable for some reason.

i checked that the partition has the id type "AF" in diskpart, and then tried booting the leopard install disc again and running "fdisk -u /dev/rdisk0" from the terminal like i read in another post, but that didn't work either.

at this point, not sure what else to try...

thireus, you're awesome! that was exactly what i needed.

it's instructions for a different leopard image, so you can't follow all of it, but if you scroll down to the section on "The Bootfix Patch" and you download that patch and put it on a usb drive, and then boot up with the install disc and open up terminal to follow what it says, it works! or at least it worked for me.

i've been playing around with leopard all morning, and surprisingly the sound and video worked right out of the box.. i'll try to get the network card working next

by the way, using that bootfix patch rewrites your MBR, so it'll kill your windows loader if you're dual booting with the Vista bootloader. i'm going to have to do some searching and find out how to add Vista to the OSX bootloader instead for it to work.

so i'm writing this post through Safari! my network card works!

here's my specs, if it helps anyone out... this all worked with brazilmac's image and patch with nothing extra-

toshiba satellite m115-s3094 laptop

Intel Core Duo Processor T2050

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950

Intel PRO 100 VE Network Connection 10/100 Base-TX Ethernet

Intel PRO/Wireless Network Connection 3945ABG (not working, haven't tried any drivers yet)

about to work on the darwin bootloader to get vista up now...