X86 and grub boot loader

hodesworthe

3 posts in this topic

Hello guys and gals. I appreciate all the knowledge that is here and I have already installed one version of X86, but I was not able to do much with it. I uninstalled it, have downloaded another version, and have since been toying around with ubuntu gutsy gibbon and linspire. Well, I tried the new version of X86 I got gets through the entire install, and I thought I was in the clear.

Well, the grub boot loader that was installed with the aforementioned linux distros seems to be the problem. The X86 OS takes over the hard drive that I am installing on, which ruins the boot loader (grub). In any event, after this, I cannot even start up my other OS, let alone the X86 one. So, I had to re-install a a linux distro just to get my box back up and running.

Anybody experienced with removing grub? Any other ways to make this work? :yoji: Thank you in advance! ;)

Let Linux installed on a partition and have your osx86 on another one. If your osx86 installation took over the bootloader and you are unable to start Linux because your grub is gone, all you need to do is download a livecd of a distribution, ubuntu for example, boot your computer with that livecd and once you logged in, mount your linux boot partition and make modifications to your menu.lst file, which is the grub conf file. After that, install the grub to the boot loader and you're done.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Recoverin...ccbb25225cdb3c0

will help.