Multiboot x4?

Garrin Childers

3 posts in this topic

I am about to jump head first into my first Mac computer (microsoft user for 15 year too long) and I was curious I have heard all these rumors about boot camp on Leopard and wondered if you could not only run 10.5 and XP but if you could also run Linux and vista all at the same time? When you boot it will show you your available OS's is it possible to run all 4? That would make life MUCH easier in my line of work.

Thanks for the info.

The three OS limit is a firmware drive partition limit, so if you are willing to install the fourth OS to a CD (LiveCD Linux or PE Windows) or if you are willing to install to ExpressCard flash memory (like eFilm exprescard to SDHC adapter) then you can have a pretty easily removable fourth OS that boots from rEFIt and has its OS its own partition. Just follow the standard triple boot procedures and then add your fourth OS (probably XP or Linux).

Alternatively you can put XP on the same partition as Vista if you install it into a folder other than c:\windows (where Vista goes) and use a non-standard program files directory and non-standard user directory. I would not recommend this unless you have done it before and as an added drawback you will have to navigate both the graphical EFI boot menu and the character based windows boot loader menu. Setting up three OSs on rEFIt was more than I cared to learn.

• 2 weeks later...