xXx 10.4.10 IOATAController Error (HELP!)

Stolen

2 posts in this topic

Everyone,

I need some help, this is a fairly new, purpose built machine as it were, with the principle intention of running OSX on it. I read various reviews, various tutorials about installing OSX, the Gigbatye 965 DS3 specific tutorial was pretty much invaluable as far as hardware configuration and bios setups go. But everything else is somewhat disjointed and difficult to drag fact from fictional "what ifs". So this is where I currently am:

System Specifications

• Gigabyte 965P-DS3 Rev 3.3 Bios F10
  • Intel Core 2 Duo 6700 # 2.66G
  • 6 Gig DDR2 667
  • NVidia 6600GT (Crt + LCD running as Dual Screen)
  • Hitatchi 320 GB Sata2 (Purple Port)
  • Lite On Sata DVD Everything
  • Apple Keyboard
  • Apple Mighty Mouse

Dual Boot OSX Primary 250GB, Primary Win XP64 54GB Darwin Boot Loader (Sweet as!)

I downloaded xXx 10.4.10 Intel Only DVD from the usual places.

I Followed the Gigabyte Tutorial with regards to the Bios Settings regard Hard Drive configurations, memory setups and peripheral devices.

I created the partitions on the Hard Drive using Windows XP and Fdisk.

I installed XP64, after finally working out that Microsoft don't like ACHI by default and downloading the Gigabyte SATA/RAID drivers and installing them during the windows setup process (F6 for the win).

I installed OSX straight from the DVD, it worked out which direction was up, found the partition, formated it in the Disk Utility, installed the boot loader, and then went on to install the OS, it is here I may have made a mistake by installing something that maybe I shouldn't have, but who knows, hence I am posting on here.

I reboot, I installed the Gigabyte driver pack also found in the Gigabyte tutorial thread, please note that OSX booted, done the whole creating accounts thing and so on, logged on, etc. (Always remembr to install the winlogon thingy, otherwise it will not work). Ethernet came up, Sound came on, USB all work, world is happy OSX is running. However, I notice it's a little sluggish. And here lies my specific problems.

1. My CPU Speed is reading as 4ghz, which is clearly not correct, unless OSX is trying it's utmost to kill the computer, which in theory it could be, but highly unlikely. I have added the fsb=266 into pboot, this however does not make any difference, it's still reading as 4ghz. (About this mac in the screenie attached and you can see).
  2. My Biggest problem, and the one responsible for the system sluggishness is the issue I have with the IOATAController, whilst the system boots and runs, I am using it now, writing a DVD as it happens and typing this monologue. I constantly get "IOATAController device blocking bus." messages in the system.log. These are also noticeable at boot as they generally don't go away unless you boot -f -v to flush everything, then you get them pop up, something gives, and then the machine starts up. Without these the machine would boot in around 10 seconds from Power On to Sitting here working. I am convinced here that I have installed a driver I shouldn't have, but I am at a loss to determine which one, or indeed how to get rid of it. EVERYTHING ELSE WORKS! (Well apart from dictionary, but that doesn't count)

I have attached a screenie which includes me typing this, my system.log open, my about mac open and system profiler open so you can see the drives.

If anyone knows how to resolve these issues I would be immensely grateful, up until the clocks went back the clocks on XP and OSX were different, which was annoying at worst, so didn't really think about it.

But I would like to thank everyone here for the excellent reading material to help people make the hop to OSX, my Mac Book Pro was one of the best pieces of kit I'd bought in many years, until, this machine! Now it's running OSX of course :)

Stolen

post-140104-1193944527_thumb.jpg