What Tiger install approach, should I be using nForce4? Is it stable enough?

kourosh

5 posts in this topic

Hey people,

I was just wondering, since I have had some experience with this, which approach I should take to get the best installation.

The specs of my PC are:

AMD Athlon 64 3700+

Asus A8N-E motherboard

ATI X1600 Pro graphics card

Seagate 300GB SATA HDD

nVidia nForce4 Ultra chipset

1GB RAM

(Anything else you need to know, tell me please)

I have both Tubgirl 10.4.10 AMD SSE3 Testing, and Uphuck 1.4a 10.4.9 DVDs.

Firstly, is the nForce4 Ultra SATA ready to use for anything? Or will there be corruption of data or temperamental usage? Just i need to know if it will destroy other things or not :D

Next, how do I properly install drivers for my graphics card? Do I just use the installers included on the dvd(s)? QE/CI would be nice here :) (Aswell as DVI?)

And finally, for my system, which install disc would be the best to use for my system (JaS 10.4.8 SSE2 SSE3 + all patches etc, Uphuck 1.4a or 1.3 universal, or the Tubgirl AMD SSE3 Testing 10.4.10?) This would be helpful.

Since my DVDs are all bad, I have installed using vmware, and managed to get both installed at one point, both times I installed the included graphics packages and could only change resolution, no QE/CI and only VGA would work.

After all of this information, can anyone please answer, and point me in the right direction for a good install? It would be much appreciated.

Ah well, since there is a severe lack of replies....

I have everything working with Tubgirl 10.4.10, just modified a few kexts to get graphics working

As for nforce4 chipset and sata? Should i be using them or are they problematic?

Oh and I can't seem to dual boot properly, GRUB doesn't boot it, neither does chain0, and its not under an extended partition:

1. Windows Partition

2. Recovery Partition

3. Mac OS X

4. Extended Partition

- Data Partition

- Swap Partition

- Linux Partition

- Linux Partition

Any ideas? I can boot with the CD though by typing hd(0,3) at the prompt...

(I've found out soo much by myself but these ones are really annoying me :D)

• 2 months later...