mac corrupted vista partition

kylepsp

3 posts in this topic

I installed mac on my computer but it wouldnt boot so i followed a guide which said to change something in terminal. Ive done this twice with the same effect on vista. I changed the flags i think. And when vista loads i get a error saying cannot load user profile.

Any help would be appreciated

Without specifics, it's hard to pinpoint your issue. But I think I know what you're going through. I've seen step by step guides which mentioned to use fdisk -u /dev/rdisk0 (or whatever drive number) to repair the MBR after installation. But at least for me, it was unneccessary, because my MBR was okay, it was just the OSX partition was marked as active rather than Vista.

I still use fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0 to open the utility, then the following commands to mark the partition as active:

p (to list partitions)

f 1 (or the number of your vista partition)

write (to confirm)

y (to reply that you will reboot to take changes)

exit

reboot

The earlier command with the -u switch often kills your MBR instead of fixes it. If you boot with your Vista disc though, and choose "repair my computer", then select Startup repair, most times it will fix the MBR problem. The rest of the time, only do the other commands and you can boot into Vista fine.