Is my Leopard install running in 64bit mode

theotheo

6 posts in this topic

I'm currently running Leopard on my hackintosh (core2duo). I've read some stuff about Leopard being 64bit.

Is there any way of seeing if the kernel and thus the complete system is running in 32 of 64 bit mode?

Thanks in advance!

I'm currently running Leopard on my hackintosh (core2duo). I've read some stuff about Leopard being 64bit.

Is there any way of seeing if the kernel and thus the complete system is running in 32 of 64 bit mode?

Thanks in advance!

One of the changes I've noticed can be seen in Activity Monitor, if Leopard is running 64 bit the total size of virtual memory is well above 4 GB, something that's only possible with a 64 bit CPU.

I've yet to find one of the bundled apps that's actually running 64 bit code though. So far it looks like the apps are compiled for 32 bit and just get a larger address space, although I'm not sure what the benefit of that would be.

XCode 3 will easily generate 64 bit code and it executes just fine. Something you can play with if you're a bit technical. The "arch" command can also be used to make sure it's actually selecting the 64 bit code path when executing an app.

• 3 weeks later...
One of the changes I've noticed can be seen in Activity Monitor, if Leopard is running 64 bit the total size of virtual memory is well above 4 GB, something that's only possible with a 64 bit CPU.

i have 10.4 installed, and it reconized my 4GB RAM