Aggghh install is going wrong..help me

moel

13 posts in this topic

Good Afternoon all

HELP

I've got my toshiba with XP on, and i partitioned it into a 80 gig XP system and 30 gig OS X (using Partition Magic) Reformated the 30 gb bit with MAC OS Extended and umm

Then i turned the machine off and restarted and it wouldn't go into xp it just said boot.plist is missing...

So.....

I'm now installing JaS OS 10.4.8 to hopefully rectify the problem but how does one create a bootloader?

Please Please help and don't tell me i've farked the entire machine like a numpty :s

that is somewhat futile and pointless argument

It now boots to a certain point the whiirly thing stops going round then there is some HD activity and then it crashes.

All i want is my windows back now :) grrr..this was looking so good...

1st priority = get XP back up and running

2nd priority = get os X on there...

So how does one do that and also how do i get to see the unix to give you more of a definitive answer on where exactly it's stalling and how to do something about it

http://www.cwatson.org/blog/category/compu...ips-and-guides/

^^^ That's the guide I wrote after configuring my laptop to run quad-boot with Vista, XP, Fedora Linux and Tiger. You need to over-write the Tiger bootloader with XP's, so boot to the XP recovery disc and run the following commands:

fixboot

fixmbr

Then reboot and you should be back into XP again :(

After that, download chain0 (Google it, the OSX86 Project wiki is the first entry) and put it in the root of your C drive. Boot.ini (the XP bootloader) is different to Vista's BCDedit so I wouldn't be able to help from there, but it should be straightforward if you find a how-to guide, they seem to be pretty easy to find around here :lol:

After you have XP and Tiger dual-booting, boot Tiger using -v to get it to boot in verbose mode (so it ouputs whatever is making it crash) and post it up here (taking a photo of the screen is probably the best option). Unless we know exactly where the error's occuring, it could literally be any of hundreds of problems.

Okey dokey chaps

Firstly a quick re-install fixed the OS X problem!! Woohoo (i suspect some sort of graphics driver eff up)

Now...umm....windows recovery cd....what if it's part of the Toshiba Product Recovery and therefore completely useless? (I have an XP pro disk at home though)

However anything else to try whilst i'm here at work not near my recovery cd??

You'll need the original XP install disc to get at the recovery menu, the Toshiba disc is probably just a glorified System Restore disc, not an actual install.

Yeah that figured from the minute i put it in!! ({censored} PC makers) Luckily i have a rather 'oriental' copy of xp pro @ home...just one question that will only sort out the boot sector yes? It's just theres basically the login thing for our work network and really don't want that farking up!

I guess it's fairly straight forward from then on..i'm just trying to get audio working and some sort of decent res on the Intel GMA X3100

yep, those commands will just reload the XP bootloader from the install disc and will over-write the Tiger one. To boot into Tiger, you'll need to edit the Boot.ini in XP to point to chain0.

i kinda had the same problem...i tried installing osx86 on my second partition, wouldn't work so i tried to boot into xp but it wouldnt let me...a black screen came up and said NTDL is missing or something like that, then it said press ctrl alt del to restart, i restart, same thing. even when i used the factory cds that came with my lappy. luckily i had a vista boot cd...i f..king hate it!