Can't boot without the DVD in?

8 posts in this topic

This is in VMWAre I am guessing?

This issue happens when the partition you have OS X installed on isn't set to the primary drive (first one it tries to boot off). If I am wrong someone reply. This issue from what I have seen in my own experience only happens on native installs... Perhaps I am wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

can't boot without the dvd in???

it's seems so simple, but my knowlege is bad!

spec: paviliondv6000/2partition/winXP on 1partition ntfs/ osx10.5 on 2nd partition/using aoss

i followed one of the youtube instal video, it worked fine but i cannot boot on the osx unless i boot from the dvd...

I need to findout how to make the 2nd partition appear into AOSS... so far it only shows winXP?!!?!

i tried to set the 2 partition as bootable don't work! i change the active to the 2nd partion don't work.

i even tried to uninstall AOSS still nothing....

what's that last step to boot without dvd????

btw when i change my 2nd partition to bootable (because i was trying to use AOSS to find my osx) it still says no OS found??? how come AOSS doesn;t know that i have a system on it?

thanks

• 4 weeks later...
This is in VMWAre I am guessing?

This issue happens when the partition you have OS X installed on isn't set to the primary drive (first one it tries to boot off). If I am wrong someone reply. This issue from what I have seen in my own experience only happens on native installs... Perhaps I am wrong.

I am having the same problem with a native install on 2nd drive (disk 1)- installation went ok, but I can only boot with the dvd in, otherwise i get _$ and a blinking cursor. I have made that drive the primary boot drive and even made it the master, but that doesn't change anything. Even when I boot to osx, the drive appears on my desktop and in drive utilities, but NOT in startup disk.

I booted with -v and I get this error during boot

localhost diskarbitrationd[33]: unable to mount /dev/disk1s1

(status code 0x00000047)

I saw in another topic to use the script.sh to make the drive bootable.

I don't have that script on my harddrive or my dvd

when i used the rd=disk1s1 as mentioned in that thread, i got a gray screen that said you need to restart your computer. That didn't help.

I don't know if this helps but when I typed "mount" into terminal, I get

/dev/disk1s1 on / (local, journaled)

devfs on /dev (local)

fdesc on /dev (union)

<volfs> on /.vol

/dev/disk0s1 on /Volumes/Untitled (local, read-only)

automount -nsl [175] on /Network (automounted)

automount -fstab [197] on /automount/Servers (automounted)

automount -static [197] on /automount/static (automounted)

/dev/disk2s3 on /Volumes/Mac OS X Install Disc x86 (local, nodev, nosuid, read-only)

When I go into startup disk utility, the console log says -

nvram: nvram is not supported on this system.

nvram: nvram is not supported on this system.

Could not find IODeviceTree:/options

Can't access "efi-boot-device" NVRAM variable

Is this relevant?

Thanks for your help!