Can't install to any USB/SATA HDD Uphuck 1.4a

kourosh

8 posts in this topic

I've searched for it and can't find any answers.

Plainly, I'm trying to install Uphuck 1.4a on my AMD machine, but whichever hard disk I try to use, it is very temperamental.

Basically, formatting in diskutility, one minute, it says something about insufficient permissions to complete, then sometimes it works. Even when I format and create partitions using gparted and linux for the install, it will crash partly through the actual install, most likely because of the insufficient permissions error.

Ive tried SATA, which didnt work (though things are detected and seem to work fine, excluding this error). USB, which is ATA inside, doesn't work either, with the same error.

It works in vmware, but thats slow, i want it to run on the actual PC.

PC Specs, if you want to know:

AMD Athlon 64 3700+

1GB RAM

ATI Radeon X1600 Pro

ASUS A8N-E Motherboard

nVidia nForce4 Ultra Chipset

I've heard the nforce4 sata was a problem, but why USB too? Is it just the chipset altogether?

Well I created the partition and set the type as 'af' in fdisk (linux), formatted it in OSX (when the install disc booted), which took some few attempts as it would show the insufficent permissions error sometimes, then not at another time, when it was done, I went to install and then it just crashed (multiple different places at different times, likely when the lack of permissions error decided to pop up).

When I tried USB, I thought the problem wouldnt exist, since I wasn't using SATA. But it did exactly the same, when I went to create partitions and format, it was equally temperamental in that sometimes it would not have permissions, and i just couldnt install because it was so random, there was always an error some part of the way through...

Nothing I've found elsewhere has had this problem...

Could trying a different install DVD help (JaS 10.4.9??)

If its any help, I tried it on my brothers PC, same problem though different motherboard completely (its a new dell inspiron 531).

If I acquire a new dvd, what should I download?

JaS 10.4.8 or the Tubgirl 10.4.10 Testing one?

Or maybe something else...?

I would try with Tubgirl 10.4.10 Test1 .. I got this (and even JaS 10.4.8) and I'm closest to install on it (Tubgirl)...My SATA (with nForce4) properly recognized with Tubgirl (but NOT with JaS,either) ...I had problems with installation later in process... :(

Seriously, Tubgirl has the same problem, and I do not know why!

nForce 4 Ultra A8N-E?

Can anyone please help, is there something Im doing wrong, or does it appear that two different AMD computers act the same way?

Bad disks im burning too?