Prep'ing for 10.5 - permissions issues with AFP shares?!

Stokkes

1 post in this topic

Hey everyone,

I'm just prepping my system for 10.5 and possibly using a Network share for TM (using the "touch .com.apple.timemachine.supported" function), but as I've been doing some tests, I've noticed something a little unsettling.

PS: If i'm in the wrong forum, could a moderator move this? I'd really like some insight into this issue.

My setup:

Macbook Pro running 10.4.10

Linux Ubuntu 7.10 Server

External LaCie 500GB USB drive, formatted HFS+ (no journaling) and mounted to the Ubuntu server

Netatalk configured to share the mounted HFS+ drive using AFP

Issue:

Drive mounts fine in OSX, I can copy files to/from the drive, I've ran an rsync to sync the contents of my drive to a directory on the External drive connect to my Linux box, no prob.

The problem...

When I copy files, all files are copied with the +x (execute) permission. I'm not sure why this is happening but it seems to be an OSX issue (see The Kicker below)

I do a simple command from the Terminal:

cp -rp file.txt /Volumes/NetworkMac/

technically, this should copy the file and retain the permissions but it isn't.

The Kicker (what's confusing me)

Here's the original file on the Mac in my Documents folder:

-rw-r--r--   1 jarsenea  jarsenea  0 Oct 24 23:18 file.txt

Here's the file after it's been copied to /Volumes/NetworkMac/

-rwxr-xr-x   1 jarsenea  jarsenea  0 Oct 24 23:18 file.txt

And now here's the really weird part, the file once viewed through an SSH session on the linux machine directly

-rw-r--r-- 1 jarsenea jarsenea	 0 2007-10-24 23:18 file.txt

The permissions are back to the way they were on the mac prior to copying the files! Now, if I copy the file.txt BACK to the Mac from Tiger, the permissions STAY screwed up.

I'm worried this will cause some issues with Time Machine (or restoring from a backup should I need to, since every file will have execute permissions for everyone.

I know this may be confusing, but I'm looking for some experts to help me out on this. I'd consider myself an advanced user with Linux and other systems, but for nitty gritty stuff in OSX, I still have a ways to go and looking for someone to chime in.

Thanks! :unsure: