Booting SATA in AHCI

pags

8 posts in this topic

Ok, so I had uphuck's 10.4.9 v1.4i rev3 installed with everything working well without having to modify much.

I just installed kalyway's 10.4.10 dvd and have been a little concerned. After it installed and rebooted, I got a "still waiting for root device"

so I enabled AHCI mode and it booted up fine. Am I risking anything by running both of my HDDs in AHCI mode? My 1st hdd has Vista on it and my 2nd hdd has OS X on it. AHCI has always been disabled before, so I'm not sure by having it enabling it all of a sudden will mess anything up.

Also, why would 10.4.9 work without AHCI but now 10.4.10 won't? Just curious

As long as Vista boots up in AHCI (means the drivers are loaded) you are not risking anything by using AHCI. In fact, AHCI or SATA mode allows you to gain all the benefits your drive has to offer that might not be available in IDE mode.

Vista does not boot up in AHCI ;)

I get a quick BSOD and it reboots.

any thoughts? should I just wait for leopard? I just don't feel like reverting my bios settings everytime I want to boot into OS X, because I use both pretty much the same amount

Vista does not boot up in AHCI ;)

I get a quick BSOD and it reboots.

any thoughts? should I just wait for leopard? I just don't feel like reverting my bios settings everytime I want to boot into OS X, because I use both pretty much the same amount

I don't run Vista, but there was a thread floating around here a day or so ago that said you can just install the AHCI and SATA drivers that came with your motherboard and then run in AHCI mode. I'm not sure if, like XP, you can simply do a repair of your OS and add the drivers in at that point.

you have to to enable AHCI in the BIOS before you install Vista, otherwise Vista wont enable AHCI support. to fix it, re-enable IDE mode, boot into Vista, then follow these instructions over at the Microsoft Knowledge Base. hope it works :D

it worked! thanks so much man

one more question: whenever i choose Restart in OS X, it will shut down and then a black screen will come up (sort of like verbose mode), and 3 lines of text come up.

I forget the first 2 (something like "quit" and then "reboot", i dunno)

but the last line says MACH reboot

then my monitor acts like my computer shuts off and the OS shuts off. My hdd light stops blinking, but my computer stays on. It never reboots.

Any ideas? I guess it's not too big of a deal. I can just Shut Down and then manually restart, but I'm just curious.