uphuck 10.4.9 hanging on bootup

whilsmithe

2 posts in this topic

I have a GA-965P-DS3 motherboard, had to follow instructions on this forum to get it to install but it finally did, had the HFS+ partition error, got that fixed and it was running fine for a few reboots...

I think the problem might have struck when i loaded up the install disk to reset the root password (couldnt figure out what it was for this release). after that, it boots up to the "Starting Mac OS X..." splash screen, the progress bar moves to the end but it just sits there for forever!!

I went back into the reset password utility on the installation dvd and it doesn't show any users you can change the password for in this installation =( is there a way to fix this?? reinstalling would be a pain, i've had a heck of a time getting XP, Vista, and OS X to play nice together

i was able to get into single user mode, but couldnt really do much. when i ran sh /bin/rc or whatever the command was to actually boot up the mac os x, it started to give me errors saying it couldnt find the root account! does that mean i need to at least run a repair installation to fix that or will i have to totally delete it and start over? I'm hesitant to do that because some how my boot loader got really funky, I have my vista bootloader that can boot into Vista & OS X but not XP, to get into XP I have to select OS X and then choose the XP partition from the Darwin bootloader! I dont mind that so much, but i'd like to be able to access OS X beyond the bootloader