Macmini + 10.5 Leopard + 1TB Firewire + NTFS-3g

3 posts in this topic

Any ideas? 10.5 likes to put "-n" in front of my volume name. I think this is messing up the NTFS-3g driver. It mounts but I cannot access the mounted drive via the Finder. I have not tried browsing it though via Terminal.

I am not the only person that has -n put in front of my volume name, I read about someone else at another site that has the same issue.

No one here has posted anything about NTFS-3g and leopard that I can find.

• 4 weeks later...
Any ideas? 10.5 likes to put "-n" in front of my volume name. I think this is messing up the NTFS-3g driver. It mounts but I cannot access the mounted drive via the Finder. I have not tried browsing it though via Terminal.

I am not the only person that has -n put in front of my volume name, I read about someone else at another site that has the same issue.

If you enable the view options in your finder, you should find something that will show NETWORK ICONS displayed, just turn that on and it will show your NTFS partition on your desktop like it did with Tiger

Another on topic problem i got, i am able to have full control on my ntfs external drive, write (with errors about long names, but still copies, i guess its a bug with the driver and leopard), read, delete , BUT I cannot send data from my hd anywhere on my mac's hd, its like there's security preventing from writing anything into the OS (Its showing a cross icon indicating no permission)< I can't seem to figure this out... any ideas?

You may need to update your MacFUSE core package and NTFS-3G. I was having the same exact problem with it renaming my partition with a "-n [VOLNAME]". Updating both packages fixed this. Grab these packages:http://macfuse.googlecode.com/files/MacFUSE-Core-10.5-1.0.0.dmg

MacFUSE Core 1.0.0 10.5 (Leopard)

NTFS-3G 1.1104 Package

Might want to uninstall both first, using their included uinstallers.

Another on topic problem i got, i am able to have full control on my ntfs external drive, write (with errors about long names, but still copies, i guess its a bug with the driver and leopard), read, delete , BUT I cannot send data from my hd anywhere on my mac's hd, its like there's security preventing from writing anything into the OS (Its showing a cross icon indicating no permission)< I can't seem to figure this out... any ideas?

Have you tried mounting your ntfs volume with 'uid' as an argument for the -o flag?

Get your user id by opening terminal and typing:

id <user_name>

w/o the < >

More than likely, your uid is '501'--unless you have multiple users on your machine running at once.

Then in terminal try:

sudo ntfs-3g /dev/disk#s# /Volumes/VOLUME_NAME -o uid=501,gid=501

This should give you the proper permissions. Let me know how it goes!