install went fine but won't boot into osX at loader

dll2hell

10 posts in this topic

Installed 10.4.9 and setup 2nd partition as suggested and all went great and on re-boot got the Darwin/x86 Boot loader with two options:

hd(0,1) Windows NTFS

hd(0,2) osX

Press enter to start up Darwin/x86 with no options, or you can:.....

boot: _

if I press enter, nothing happens, if I type in -v [ & enter] or -v -x [& enter] at the prompt nothing happens either. If I highlight hd(0,1) Windows and press enter, boots into XP fine.

Can someone please help? thanx!

well thats a good question, I don't recall a selection for MBR or GUID but during the install, I selected utilities -> Disk Utility highlighted the partition that I wanted to install to (at that point it was a primary FAT32 partition) so I selected ERASE and I chose MAC OS Extended (Journaled) as the format type and the partition was mounted at that time. After disk utility was finished and on the next screen, I selected this partition to install to (it was the only one listed).

I just went back into disk utilities from the DVD and it shows this:

Mount Point: /Volume/osX

Format: MAC OS Extended (Journaled)

Is this correct?

I'm having a somewhat similar issue where as in when i installed OS X and forgot to set the drive as MBR and restarted the computer and selected that drive to boot from it brought me to a screen and said it could'nt locate the file or something of other.

I'm currently trying to reformat the HDD to MBR settings and try installation again see if that hopefully works.

So there was an option somewhere to select either MBR or GUID during the installation process? Well, can I not insert the MBR onto the OSx partition or do I need to reinstall?

Your problem is similar but with my issue, the Darwin boot menu appears and I can select the osX partition but when I hit enter nothing happens at all...its not locked up or anything but no commands at all work when the osX is selected....and when I select XP, it boots fine and dandy.

Plz let me know how you fix your problem as it may also help here and good luck, Thanx

Well my setup is different. I have OS X 10.4.10 on one Sata HDD 80GB. This one runs FLAWLESSLY.

I also have XP Home Installed on another HDD IDE 160GB

And i have a 40GB HDD from my laptop hooked up inside that I'm trying to install OS X 10.5 on.

What you can do is go to disk utility. Go to the partition option and there you will see an icon that says options. Click that and it will give you three choices. Choose MBR, not GUID. Hopefully that will help you.

Well, I already had XP installed so could not do anything w/ partition (already setup prior to installation - FAT32, Primary). During install, I selected erase and the correct file system. I even went into terminal window and ran what others suggested in another similar post ("diskutil list", "fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0" "p" "flag 2" etc.) to make sure that this partition is active for the boot sequence.

I just used an earlier v. of the install (10.4.6) again as suggested in another posting to do the erase and then used 10.4.9 install disk to finish installation without going into disk utilities. This did not help.

The only thing left is to do fdisk and delete all, format entire to F32, re-partition, re-install both XP and OSx to see if this fixes anthing.

I would rather not go through all that trouble if its just something little.

10.4.8 installs fine but with that I don't even get the darwin boot loader menu and just boots into OSx (need DVD in too when I use that version).

It does seem like something to do with the boot record, no?

Anymore suggestions plz?!

Thanx