Marvell Yukon 88E8050 Ethernet on 10.4.10

7 posts in this topic

I was having difficulty getting the Yukon 88E8050 installed and finally I figured it out so I thought I would share. If you are running 10.4.10, then you will have the AppleYukon2.kext that I had, but you need AppleYukon.kext.

EDIT: I tried using the AppleYukon2.kext, and that works as well. This is good because the file has been removed for legal purposes. So, just do the following directions with the AppleYukon2.kext.

Then you will have to edit the Info.plist inside the AppleYukon.kext which is inside the IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns.

Change the following:

<key>Yukon-88E8053</key>

TO:

<key>Yukon-88E8050</key>

Change the following:

<string>Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8053</string>

TO:

<string>Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8050</string>

Change the following: (Most important)

<string>0x436211AB</string>

TO:

<string>0x436111AB</string>

Load the kext:

sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon2.kext

If you don't want to load right away, you can do this, then restart your computer:

Save the file and delete the cache mkext file in Terminal:

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

Repair Permissions. You should now have a working ethernet adapter!

Hopes this works for others.

• 4 weeks later...
Hey Espionage. Your Acer Laptop has Marvell Yukon 88E8038, but it's not going to work, despite there being a driver for it. It's an Acer only issue. Sucks, I know!

so if i understand correctly: noone with an acer has gotten the Marvell chip to work? if so, that really sucks. just bought a new one (5570z), thought everything was compatible.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I have this ethernet card and using the new leopard flat install.

First let me say I know nothing about Mac & linux so I am newbie but glad to get the O.S. installed and working.

I did everything instructed but when I boot up I get a system ext cant be used try re installing. I think this has something to do with file write restrictions etc??? Again I dont know much about mac but trying to learn can you please spoon feed me how to get this installed thanks so much for any help.

I had to remove write restrictions to get the file to save and now this is where I am. I did look at the file and the changes did take I have checked more than 10 times the process and same result I am missing something simple I am sure.

Thanks again for any help.

Ok I have success!!!

I have looked at many guides here on Insanelymac of how to do this and finally found a formula that works for me.

First off I am a noob to Mac the first thing that caught my eye was Bootcamp since its intro I have often thought cant the reverse be done? I have another rig running Solaris 10 and that is all new to me aswell.

Anyhow I have allot of threads & users here to thank for my success. Putting togethor 2 days of "CRASH" InsanelyMac reading/learning into this entire O.S. I have put togethor a way to get this rig online.

I wont go into the elementary steps that I had to learn but will simply list the process I used.

This is using the Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard "flat" install with an 88E8050 Ethernet adapter.

If you have tried to get this working with no luck please "FIRST" do a clean Leopard install then simply apply this fix below you will be online in a matter of minutes.

you will have to edit the Info.plist inside the AppleYukon2.kext which is inside the IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns.

Change the following:

<key>Yukon-88E8053</key>

TO:

<key>Yukon-88E8050</key>

Change the following:

<string>Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8053</string>

TO:

<string>Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8050</string>

Change the following: (Most important)

<string>0x436211AB</string>

TO:

<string>0x436111AB</string>

Repair Permissions then reboot.

load ethernet settings change to off then dhcp auto might need a restart of pc not the router etc... even though it says restart the router just restart the pc.

You should now have a working ethernet adapter!

Thanks again and all credit for these steps goes to the excellent help here at Insanelymac.com