In need of a bit of advice for a Thinkpad R52

Evidence

3 posts in this topic

Hi there :)

I have just tried my 30th reformat and reinstall on my Thinkpad R52, and am entirely out of ideas for how to successfully install 10.4.9 or 10.4.10 onto this Thinkpad.

Anyway, I have tried to install using Jas 10.4.8, Uphuck 1.3 and 1.4ir2, and the new XXX 10.4.10. Jas is the only one that worked, however I could not get it up to update to 10.4.9 or 10, using any of the walkthroughs available on this site, or anywhere else.

The problem that I keep running into is that after an install, the screen gets past the grey apple loading screen, and then locks up at the light blue screen directly after. There is no mouse cursor. I cannot figure out what I am choosing incorrectly when I am installing that causes this problem to occur.

I would be willing to use any distribution to do this, but I must have it updated to 10.4.9, at the very least. If anyone has any ideas as far as how to fix my blue screen lock problem, or a working guide to updating Jas to 10.4.9, it would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

SPECS

Thinkpad R52

Original description: P M 740(1.7GHz), 512MB RAM, 60GB 4200rpm HDD, 15in 1400x1050 LCD, Intel 900, 24x24x24x/8x CD-RW/DVD, Intel 802.11abg wireless(MPCI), Modem(CDC), 1Gb Ethernet(LOM), UltraNav, Secure Chip, 6 cell Li-Ion batt, WinXP Pro

Video is GMA 915

Processor is SSE2

What boxes do you check for instalation? usaly just only vink the intel drivers dont vink any thing else

second hmm also it helps to turn all things off in the bios that you are not using. like com/ paralel ports floppy drives ect

thith point you also nead to be installing a system that had sse2-sse3 support.

option comment you will have to patch the vga chipset driver in 10.4.9 to include quartz/core support

10.4.8 gives native support.

try a 10.4.8 i've found that release to be the moost easy to install with fewer problems later versions ussaly do tent to give problems. with "bad" kernels / driver support ect.