Some of my ntfs drives show up "un-named" and thus wont mount, can I fix that somehow?

MuppMan

3 posts in this topic

This is what I get in Diskutil List

/dev/disk0

#: type name size identifier

0: FDisk_partition_scheme *232.9 GB disk0

1: Windows_NTFS Windows Vista 29.3 GB disk0s1

2: Linux 5.9 GB disk0s2

3: Windows_NTFS s-ata 197.7 GB disk0s3

/dev/disk1

0: FDisk_partition_scheme *115.0 GB disk1

1: Apple_HFS Mac OS X 20.0 GB disk1s1

2: Windows_NTFS 95 Gigaren 95.0 GB disk1s2

/dev/disk2

0: FDisk_partition_scheme *232.9 GB disk2

1: Windows_NTFS 219.1 GB disk2s1

2: Windows_FAT_16 FAT32 9.0 MB disk2s3

3: Windows_NTFS Vista Partition 13.8 GB disk2s5

/dev/disk3

0: FDisk_partition_scheme *233.8 GB disk3

1: Windows_NTFS 219.1 GB disk3s1

2: Windows_NTFS 14.7 GB disk3s5

They are all named correctly under windows.

Any Ideas?

Think I figured it out. seems like Vista's partition tool do some unusual non-standard stuff to your partition tables when you resize them etc. So a word of warning do not create or resize your partitions under Vista if you want them to work correctly under Os X or Linux.

• 2 months later...
Think I figured it out. seems like Vista's partition tool do some unusual non-standard stuff to your partition tables when you resize them etc. So a word of warning do not create or resize your partitions under Vista if you want them to work correctly under Os X or Linux.

Well, I had the opposite problem, I resized XP partition with Linux, then it wouldn't mount with Vista. Told me whole disk needed to be formatted, even though grub booted XP perfectly off it.

And I resized (manually with PTEDIT32.exe) my OS X partition (Now it works I wanted it bigger), then reinstalled by using Disk Utility to restore my 10.5.1 System. And it wouldn't boot. Only way I got it to boot was to delete all partitions on that disk, recreate them with Vista's tool in exactly the same size (Unformatted so I wouldn't loose data), then used PTEDIT32 to correct the partition types (ie change OS X to AF).

The partition table as displayed by PTEDIT32 was exactly the same, but now Leopard boots.

Also, Vista leaves 1048 sectors at start of disk rather than 63 as always used to be the case for MBR. Must be something on those sectors.

Don't understand it, but I'm glad it works again.