Speedstep or Cool 'n' Quiet support

gr00vem0nster

5 posts in this topic

Hey all, I've been searching for an answer on this one for a while now and can't seem to find the right search phrase to get a definite yes or no. I'm currently running OSX86 on an AMD Athlon 64 system (uphuck 1.4A) and it is running great. I'd like to know if either Intel's Speedstep or AMD's Cool 'n' Quiet technologies are actually supported in any of the various OSX86 releases? I'm more interested in Cool 'n' Quiet since I'm currently running AMD but if that is a long shot then I may have a reason to upgrade my system (yeah no brand loyalty here). If either of them is supported how can I tell if they are working correctly? Is there a utility that will tell me the current clock frequency?

Thanks for helping a noob out.

I have speedstep working, Centrino Dothan.

Since the loss of the RTC clock stepping thing, when I set the CPU frequency lower, the computer clock slows down. Animations and things in OS X screw up, else the laptop's horrible fan goes at high speed. I don't know if other people have this problem. It makes OS X unusable for me in quiet environments.