1 post in this topic

VMWare: Congratulations. You graduate.

Native installation: YOU FAIL! xD

Relevant system specs, all drivers/bios/programs up-to-date:

HP Pavilion dv2210us laptop

AMD Turion 64 X2 @ 1.6GHz

nVidia 410/430MCP Chipset, includes nforce LAN

nVidia GeForce Go 6150

120GB SATA HD (VMWare doesn't care, native install apparently does)

VMWare 6 Workstation

Broadcom Wireless

Windows XP Pro SP2 (downgraded from the pre-installed Vista)

For the uninitiated (as i was 2 days ago), VMWare is a virtual machine program. Layman's terms, a nifty program that lets you install and use ANOTHER operating system inside your existing os, all on a window. Example, run Linux in a window on Windows XP, without having to shut down Windows. Just open the program and fire up your OS.

Native installing is installing the OS into its own partition, directly, no virtual machines or anything, just like your existing OS, in my case, Windows XP. This is only possible with certain computers and certain builds of OSx86.

With my configuration, I managed to install Tubgirl's 10.4.10 OSx86 in VMWare. Mainly, I followed pcwiz's guide to install OSx86 on vmware, but there was a bit of a flaw in the instructions which kept me going on errors, at least, in my computer. In the part where you have to use Disk Utility to create/format the new virtual disk you created earlier in that tutorial, you HAVE to click on Advanced, and select Master Boot Record. If you don't, your OSx86 might not boot at all after install.

Also, some people kept saying stuff about your CD drive needing to be in the primary slave IDE, so I edited the Advanced settings of the CD Rom in VMWare, changing its location to 0:1, primary slave (default is 1:0, meaning secondary master). This does not affect your normal system configuration in XP, just the settings for the virtual machine that will run your OSx86. Due to this, having an IDE or SATA drive has no relevance, since VMWare emulates the disk file as an IDE in 0:0, primary master.

After following these new steps, I managed to install OS X, and then I bridged the LAN in VMWare, allowing OS X to access the internet. Audio's choppy, but system works. OH, make sure 1 processor is selected, not 2.

Native installing never happened. I shrank my NTFS partition, left 20GB for OSX, used diskpart to create a type af partition in the remaining area, and confirmed its creation in partitionmagic. The DVD boots to the darwin bootloader, the part where the countdown to press any key to install OSx86 is. I press enter, and it starts loading for 2 seconds, then it just goes back to counting down again. No matter how many times i hit enter, the same happens. Used -x, same result. used -v same result, but with verbose. I'll try and take a snapshot of that verbose with a camera. It loads very little, before "crashing" back to the "Press any key to load OSX" bootloader prompt. Some people claim Tubgirl's release does read SATA drives, but this problem ain't related to that. It's supposed to at least boot to the installer, if the issue were the SATA drive. I'd run into the issue IN the installer. But it doesn't even get there. Any suggestions regarding this?

I'm currently d/ling JAS 10.4.8 Intel/AMD PPF 1 and 2, and I'll try to install natively. If only torrents were faster...