My HP Laptop's Hard Disk isn't found in the Disk Utility

MF-John

6 posts in this topic

Okay, I got this piece of :( laptop from Wal-Mart awhile back(June-ish). It came preloaded with Windows Vista. I said screw that and went down to XP Pro.Now I really want to use Mac, but unforunately my budget only allowed for said POS HP. It's going to the shop again in December :D .Installing it, I got a '/com.apple.boot.plist not found" error. I got past this by pressing F8, enter, system rebooted and I pressed one of the F keys and it proceeded to booting into the Mac OS X Installer.I got to the "Select Destination" screen, and since I've done this before, I knew I had to go to Disk Utility to partition my hard drive. But, Disk Utility doesn't detect my hard disk :D I've got no clue as to what SATA Controller this laptop uses. I know the motherboard was produced by Quanta. I will post when I can find the Controller Make/Model.

[EDIT]: My SATA Controller - nVidia nForce 430/410 SATA Controller

• 1 month later...

Okay step one if you are using a HP 6200 series I believe you are using a AMD chip with Nvidia Board if this is the case you may as well forget about using your enternal HD. I am on a DV6200 CTO and had the same problem. I hooked up an external PATA HD and was able to install the system but rarely could I get my keyboard and mouse to work. other than that if it is intel or you have any other questions please search a little as there is a complete thread about the HP DV9000 and DV6000 already started that will answer almost all your questions.

and if you have an issue with booting from the DVD when the computer boots look and you will see a hotkey listed for boot options without going into the Bios settings simply hit that and then select your DVD drive. It is easy but can get old. if you are required to do this then if you install to an external HD than you will be required to do this every time you want to but from that HD.

• 5 weeks later...
mine is an 8510p, and i havent been able to find any information for this computer and this problem

Hey JackSteffan,

I have the same laptop. Before installing Tiger, you have to go into your Bios and change the SATA drive setting to 'disable'. After that, you should be able to see the drive.

If you install Leopard, you can leave the SATA setting as enabled.