Print from Macbook via Win PC?

skwij

3 posts in this topic

Bleargh, the Hack died, and I've had to resort to Windoze XPpro, which I had on another HDD. I'm trying to print stuff from the Macbook via the PC. It's been so danged long since I've used Windoze, but I think I've got everything set up correctly as to Printer Sharing, etc.

BUT, for some reason, I simply cannot print wirelessly. The printer isn't "seen" in OS/X, and adding a printer manually hasn't worked at all. I've tried via Name, Location, and IP address.

Any pointers so I can keep using the beloved Mac and not have to use Windoze for printing (ie emailing myself the documents, etc, and printing from Thunderbird on the PC).

I can access the PC's Harddrive via the Network, it's just the printing that seems to have me baffled.

thanks in advance for any help!

Oh, and it's an HP Deskjet 970, if that matters.

Just enable printer sharing in Windows. Normally done by going to Control Panel->Printers an Faxes. Then I think you need to Click on the Printer and there is some option to enable sharing.

Also make sure to share your C Drive to enable File and Folder sharing.

Now in OSX you should be able to connect to the shared printer.

• 2 weeks later...

just follow what U.C. has provided but u don't need to share the whole "c:\ drive". just run the Network Setup Wizard and be sure to have the file & printer sharing option enabled. then using your macbook's Printer Setup Utility, u should already be able to see & connect to the printer that is shared on that pc.

if u still can't see the windows-shared printer, download & install bonjour to the host pc (where the printer is connected) then repeat the above steps.