Thinkpad T42 Video Problem

merccat

4 posts in this topic

Hello All,

I'm working on getting 10.4.8 to work on my Thinkpad and it's being a bit sticky. I've finally got a sucessfull install using Jaz 10.4.8 SSE2/SSE3. The PC is a ThinkPad T42 768mb ram, Pentium M processor, Radeon Mobility 7500 Video.

The PC boots fine (grey apple, etc) then when it is supposed to switch to the desktop goes black and nothing. OK... easy enough.. I boot -s and remove all the ATI kexts except for the ATIRadeon.kext. Reboot... Grey Apple, then the circle thing stops and I can hear the Welcome music and the setup assistant talking. I can activate voice over, etc. Basically use the computer, but there is no video (just the frozen grey apple)

Is there something I missed? From what I've read, most people have had no difficulty with the T42.

The only other clue I have is when booting verbose (-v), some of the video messages I see are as follows:

The final Natit line "Natit: Setting model=ATI Mobility Radeon 7500" - that seems good.

Buth then two lines below that I have "Titan: Could not make a display match" - dosent seem good.

Any help or light you can shed would be greatly appriciated

Thank You!

-Ryan

I would forget the Titan/Natit stuff. Just do a generic install. It will default to 1024x768 video, but you can change that after you boot up by editing Library\Preferences\SystemConfiguration\com.apple.boot.plist.

I have 10.4.9 running on two T41s. No problems at all.

Thanks! I'll give that a try. If I get it up and running I'll try some native drivers that I found on Radeons website that may provide better results.

My multi-drive is going out so I've got to freeze put the thinkpad in the freezer for 20min before I can get a clean install (crazy wierd).. anyways I've got an IDE to USB adaptor on the way and if I can't coax another install out of this drive I'll be able to test more install options later.

I'll post any results should anyone else encounter this.

Thanks Again!

-Ryan

That worked! I did a plain install and on reboot got the black screen again. I went back into -s mode and removed all ATI drivers, then rebooted and presto. I installed the 7500 drivers, and modified a few kexts as per the third party driver and got all screen resolutions up and running (the T-42 maxes out at 1042x768 anyways so no perks there).

Working on WIFI, everything else seems OK. I noticed that I can't wake it back up from sleep without hitting the power key and then it wants to shutdown the second it wakes up. Also there is no independent control of the video outputs (SVid & VGA & Probably goes for DVI too). Not really a big deal. Another interesting thing is that the CPU will go into low power mode when the thinkpad runs on battery signifigantly effecting performace. Once in low power mode it will not power back up to hi performance mode until you restart with the thinkpad pluged in.

All in all I'd call this a success, but I can't wait until I have enough saved to buy a real mac. I'm thinking the new mac mini's look pretty sweet (and affordable).