Trouble with Grey screen boot - hardware problem?

killjoy42

4 posts in this topic

So I've been struggling with getting OSX86 to work - and I have a dedicated IDE HDD for that purpose. So far I've tried the following images with the listed results:

uphuck_10.4.9_universal_dvd_v1.3.cdr - 4.5GB

Installed via VMWARE - Black screen with blinking cursor

uphuck_10.4.9_v1.4i_r3.iso - 1.4GB

Installed via DVD & VMWARE (image mounted w/ daemon tools) - Black screen with blinking cursor

Mac OS X 10.4.8 [JaS AMD-Intel-SSE2-SSE3 with PPF1 & PPF2].iso - 4.5 GB

Installed via DVD & VMWARE (image mounted w/ daemon tools) - Boots to grey apple screen and comes up with a friendly message asking to reboot the system. Cannot get past this point.

I tried giving the hard drive a boot tag with GParted Live, but it didn't seem to do anything. I tried several install configurations suggested by various guides as well as a few of my own.

I guess I'm wondering what the best version/configuration would be for me to make one of the above images work. Any help will be greatly appeciated. My hardware is as follows:

MSI P6N SLI Platinum LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

2 SATA Drives

2 IDE Drives

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

XFX PVT84GUDF3 GeForce 8600GTS 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

Also, some info from CPU-z:

Processors Map

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Number of processors 1

Number of threads 2

Processor 0

-- Core 0

-- Thread 0

-- Core 1

-- Thread 0

Processors Information

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Processor 1 (ID = 0)

Number of cores 2

Number of threads 2 (max 2)

Name Intel Core 2 Duo E6600

Codename Conroe

Specification Intel® Core2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz

Package Socket 775 LGA (platform ID = 0h)

CPUID 6.F.6

Extended CPUID 6.F

Core Stepping B2

Technology 65 nm

Core Speed 2400.1 MHz (9.0 x 266.7 MHz)

Rated Bus speed 1066.7 MHz

Stock frequency 2400 MHz

Instructions sets MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, EM64T

L1 Data cache 2 x 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size

L1 Instruction cache 2 x 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size

L2 cache 4096 KBytes, 16-way set associative, 64-byte line size

FID/VID Control yes

FID range 6.0x - 9.0x

max VID 1.238V

Chipset

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Northbridge NVIDIA 650i SLI SPP rev. A2

Southbridge NVIDIA 650i SLI MCP rev. A3

Graphic Interface PCI-Express

PCI-E Link Width x16

PCI-E Max Link Width x16

Memory Type DDR2

Memory Size 2048 MBytes

Memory Frequency 400.0 MHz (2:3)

CAS# 5.0

RAS# to CAS# 5

RAS# Precharge 5

Cycle Time (tRAS) 18

Bank Cycle Time (tRC) 22

Command Rate 2T

Two things I can see that are probably causing your problems. Do some research on NVidia chipsets as they are notoriously unsympathetic to OSX86. There are a lot threads in this forum that may be of some help to you. The second thing is your video card. Although great for Windows, there is very little driver support for the 8xxx series cards for Hackintoshes since they aren't used in any real Macs. There are a couple of lengthy threads devoted to whatever progress is being made in this and the hardware forum. Good luck.

Two things I can see that are probably causing your problems. Do some research on NVidia chipsets as they are notoriously unsympathetic to OSX86. There are a lot threads in this forum that may be of some help to you. The second thing is your video card. Although great for Windows, there is very little driver support for the 8xxx series cards for Hackintoshes since they aren't used in any real Macs. There are a couple of lengthy threads devoted to whatever progress is being made in this and the hardware forum. Good luck.

I did hear that there was little to no support for 8xxx series, but I guess I was hoping my card didn't apply and/or I misunderstood. My next step is to dig a little deeper in the forums and see what I come up with. Thanks for your help. ;-)

An afterthought: what kind of effects would an incompatible graphics card result in exactly? should I be able to get that grey apple boot screen if my card isn't working?