Newbie Here! Keeps Rebooting (VMware)

forumz

6 posts in this topic

I have the HP dv2000 With the AMD 64 X2 1.7GhZ Laptop, and am attempting to run OS X (10.4.7) through VMware Workstation.

The VMware Image I have used was located Here.

I added the

paevm = "TRUE"

line in the VMX File, and have tried changing the Guest OS setting to boot as if Windows NT, as opposed to FreeBSD.

I get as far as the Grey screen and Apple logo, then it does a sequence of flashing white text on the screen on a black screen, which doesn't seem to end. Could someone point me to a solution to this? I've been searching the forums for hours and no luck.

This is a more generic issue in VMWare itself.

The VMDK you're trying to boot was created on an Intel system. This is the CPU the guest is geared towards emulating. You, however, have an AMD cpu. It won't work. (This is not specific to osx86, that wreaks havoc with other emulated platforms too ... for example you can't do ESX VMotion between 2 AMD and Intel servers)

(Where osx86 is concerned .. Even Intel -> Intel vmware transplants are dicey given the different patches available for SSE2 and SSE3.. VMWare Workstation, Server, and Player all emulate the host's CPU.. so if you're SSE3, its SSE3. If you're SSE2, it's SSE2. etc).

If you can't find a vmware image that was created on / patched for a similar CPU to yours, then you'll want to manually install with the full DVD and make sure that during the install, you do a "custom" install + select the AMD options ONLY. Good luck ...