ATI Possible Fix (Idea)

2 posts in this topic

Alright guys, I had an idea. I'm no expert when it comes to drivers, but so far on this forum, everyone is looking to fix their graphics setup by working with the drivers and subset of drivers directly.

Has anyone thought of working the other way around? What if we can 'fool' the OS to believe our card is a stock standard OSX supported card? This could be done in a number of ways...

I think one of the easiest methods would be to reflash the BIOS of the graphics board with a dump from an actual Mac machine (of the same type). I have an x600 mobility which was also present in some of the Mac Book Pros.

We could also try just editing the specific portion of the BIOS on the card that reports the name, vendor, and device IDs. If I were to obtain the name and vendor/device ID's and edit those of my card, then would not OSX see my board as legit?

What do you guys think?

Actually, what you describe is impossible because real Macs use EFI, not BIOS. On the other hand, a somewhat similiar approach is what current community solutions do, the fool OS X to think the card has been properly initialized by EFI.